Help with my problem, .hfe and .cfg files

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
nikosGR

Help with my problem, .hfe and .cfg files

Post by nikosGR »

Hi,
I need some advise regarding the following problem.

I used the HxCFloppyEmulator software to dump a floppy disk and followed the instructions to create a sd card with cfg and hfe files.
After several tries i was succesful. (the sd was read by the host)

Then i tried to dump another (different) disk to make it work but with no luck. Every time the host cannot access the hxc emulator.

Then i tried to create a sdcard using the hfe of the second disk with the cfg of the first disk. This time i was succesful!

But now i am not sure how on earth i managed to make it work the first time. So my question is:

- how can i "retrieve" all the settings from the cfg that works?

My host is using the same controller of the atari st.
the fdd i am replacing uses jumpers for pin 2 to the ground because the host controller needs a low to know that a dd disk is present.
pin 34 needs to be the ready signal.

As i remember, creating the first disk, the procedure i followed was:
dump the floppy disk > create the .cfg with "HFE file interface mode to ibm pc 720kb" and "HxC floppy emulator i/f settings IBM PC DD/HD(auto) pin 2:Low pin 34:Ready" > EXPORT the hfe. I also tried to export the hfe first and then to create/save the cfg.
But i cannot make the second disk to work like this.

Maybe it was the begginers luck but i need a way to find out the settings of the first disk.
To use the same cfg file with different hfe is not an option to me. I need to know what i am doing wrong.

I am new to this, sorry for my english, i am kindly waiting for your advise.
Nikos
Last edited by nikosGR on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nikosGR

Re: Help with my problem, .hfe and .cfg files

Post by nikosGR »

following my previous post....

if i load the hfe (of the sd that works) at the emulator settings i have:
HFE file Interfacemode "ibm pc 720kb" dimmed, auto is checked!
sd Hxc floppy emulator interface settings mode "ibm pc dd/hd", pin 2 auto!, pin 34 auto!
Enable auto boot mode checked
load last loaded floppy checked

i cannot make a cfg with different than "auto" for pins 2 and 34

is there a way i can create a cfg with
- HFE file Interfacemode "ibm pc 720kb",
- sd Hxc floppy emulator interface settings mode "ibm pc dd/hd", pin 2 low, pin 34 ready

?

EDIT: I used an older version HxCFloppyEmulator 2.5.6.6 and it seems i can create a cfg interface settings mode "custom", pin 2 low, pin 34 ready
i think there is a bug in the latest software 2.14.4.1

nikosGR

Re: Help with my problem, .hfe and .cfg files

Post by nikosGR »

after many trials i am finally happy.

using version HxCFloppyEmulator 2.5.6.6 was much better for me. I was able to select/create a custom cfg for pins 2 and 34. With the latest version i couldnt create / save and then recall a setting.

other than that everything else are great.Thanks for your work.

just for your information below is my workaround:
from the first post i said i was very lucky to make a working sd . with this sd i made my host run system utilities program (read write delete format etc).
Using the emulator options i created an empty.hfe of an ibm 720kb dd floppy and i tranferred it in the sd as a second hfe. After loading the utilities program on my host (the autoboot.hfe or the first.hfe), i selected the empty .hfe with front panel buttons and then i formatted it with the host utility.
With the emulator software (with view tracks and/or when i loaded the empty hfe) i discovered that the empty .hfe was "generic shugart".
Then everything was straight forward, all the other floppies i created as generic shuggart worked succesfully.