External connector question

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
gsargent

External connector question

Post by gsargent »

On the pin header for the external (front panel) connector on the SD circuit board one pin is labeled LCD_BACKLIGHT in the manual.

Is this for the addition of a button to turn off and on the backlight?

I have ran the power for the backlight off of the +5v drop on the pin header since no voltage is going to that LCD_BACKLIGHT pin.

Thanks for the info

lotharek

Re: External connector question

Post by lotharek »

hello

1. LCD_BACKLIGHT_CTRL from PIC (pin7) feeds through R31 resitor Q3 tranzisotr and operates the presence of backlight. Simple and effective :-)

It is my first test to se if the pic was programmed correctly - if there is no backlight, pic is wrong programmed.

how to understand manual info about header :

- try to connect 16pin header BUTTON_UP with gnd. OK - what happens ?

all i mean, gnd is common in that header

ps. please, if You do not have some experience - do not play with soldering iron...it may cost you money and us precious time.
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

gsargent

Post by gsargent »

Guess you misunderstood me. I am talking about pin 10 on the front panel connector. Yes I understand how a basic switch works by connecting it to ground.

"ps. please, if You do not have some experience - do not play with soldering iron...it may cost you money and us precious time."

Just a suggestion that before you start telling people to not use a soldering iron maybe you should lighten up. I was trying to ask a simple question but instead got an insult. I thought maybe other people here might have had the same question, if not then I apologize to those people.

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

insult ? Where ? do not be so fragile ;-)

do not take it like that. just want to inform You, if You burn PIC there is no other way like get new one programmed. Postages costs and warranty doesn`t include burnt PICs change.

and i did UNDERSTAND You well.. i explained You the way backlight works, and in this moment You should know that SWITCH THERE MUST NOT be put.

with no offence of course, but i have had few of problems with people playing with "NOT PROPER" soldering irons and BURNT PICS TO DEATH .
Even me burnt few pieces at the beginning using inproper tools
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: External connector question

Post by Jeff »

gsargent wrote:On the pin header for the external (front panel) connector on the SD circuit board one pin is labeled LCD_BACKLIGHT in the manual.

Is this for the addition of a button to turn off and on the backlight?

I have ran the power for the backlight off of the +5v drop on the pin header since no voltage is going to that LCD_BACKLIGHT pin.

Thanks for the info
This is an open collector driver.

The connection to use is :

+5V pin -> (Anode-Backlight Led-Cathode) -> LCD_BACKLIGHT pin

gsargent

Post by gsargent »

lotharek,

Sorry didn't mean to snap like that. Bad day for me and I just took it the wrong way. Please accept my apology :)

Ok looks like I just need to do a bit of rewiring. I had it as follows

+5V pin -> (Anode-Backlight Led-Cathode) -> GROUND pin

Thanks Jeff for a fantastic design and thanks lotharek for a quality made product.