Installing in standard 3.5 inch floppy drive bay for PC

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Frank Hileman

Installing in standard 3.5 inch floppy drive bay for PC

Post by Frank Hileman »

Hello,

Has anyone figured out how to install the SD version in a standard PC floppy drive bay ? I would like to put one in my RM1x, but I have no room or easy way to cut new holes in the steel housing. It uses a standard PC floppy drive bay circa 1999. I am sure the hardware is compatible, but I cannot figure out how to mount the display panel or access the buttons. Also, I cannot have the sd card sticking out at all from the front of the bay, as it will be bumped if it does. The card has to go in almost as far as a floppy would.

Thanks,
Frank

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Installing in standard 3.5 inch floppy drive bay for PC

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

I recommend you to deport the LCD. You can connect the LCD and some buttons on the J2 connector.

You can find the pinout of J2 in the user manual:

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... Manual.pdf

Frank Hileman

Post by Frank Hileman »

Thanks. I did not know the buttons could be mounted separately. My question is the physical part. Would the lcd panel and the buttons fit in the space for a 3.5 inch disk drive? And how could I get the sd card in and out if I did it that way? Also even if they fit... any ideas how to mount, with screws, whatever, would be welcome.

Frank Hileman

Post by Frank Hileman »

How tall is the lcd panel? I could not find the dimension for that. If it is less than 1 inch, I think it would fit in front. And there is a little room left over for some buttons in the width. Still not sure how to mount it... I suppose I need some kind of housing similar to a floppy drive.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Frank Hileman wrote:How tall is the lcd panel? I could not find the dimension for that. If it is less than 1 inch, I think it would fit in front. And there is a little room left over for some buttons in the width. Still not sure how to mount it... I suppose I need some kind of housing similar to a floppy drive.

Frank Hileman

Post by Frank Hileman »

Thanks, Jeff, but the image does not show. Looks like the url moved.

Frank Hileman

Post by Frank Hileman »

Hi,

I can see the image now, thanks. A floppy drive bay is just over 1 inch high, so that display panel would not fit. Also there would be little room left over for buttons.

I suppose there is no smaller compatible display?

Next time I open the rm1x, I will see if something larger than 1 inch can be placed behind the hole in the housing. It is getting complicated...

A swap in replacement for a floppy drive, the same physically as well as electronically, would probably have additional demand from people with industrial machinery designed to use floppy drives. These machines have no option to upgrade to a different type of drive.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Frank Hileman wrote:Hi,

I can see the image now, thanks. A floppy drive bay is just over 1 inch high, so that display panel would not fit. Also there would be little room left over for buttons.

I suppose there is no smaller compatible display?

Next time I open the rm1x, I will see if something larger than 1 inch can be placed behind the hole in the housing. It is getting complicated...

A swap in replacement for a floppy drive, the same physically as well as electronically, would probably have additional demand from people with industrial machinery designed to use floppy drives. These machines have no option to upgrade to a different type of drive.
In fact the floppy emulator can work without the lcd. this already the case with the Atari ST computer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O74GgYcA3w

Now i need to add this feature for other computers and device.

Frank Hileman

Post by Frank Hileman »

Hi Jeff,

I understand this works because you run special software on the host computer. In the case of the RM1x, we cannot change the operating system. Let me show an RM1x:

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/picture_ar ... gh_jpg.jpg

If a floppy emulator can fit into that space where the floppy is, with the full user interface in that space, it would be a great thing. Many RM1x users would love a replacement for the floppy drive.

The case is thick steel, and there isn't much place to put any new buttons etc on the inside. Also, a usb drive is not so great as it would be bumped all the time.

The best solution would be a smaller display that fits on a front plate and a form factor the same as a floppy drive.

There are some expensive alternatives to the HxC out there, but most do not seem trustworthy. They may just be knock-offs of your project. The great thing about HxC is someone is actually working on it.

Thanks,

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Frank Hileman wrote:Hi Jeff,

I understand this works because you run special software on the host computer. In the case of the RM1x, we cannot change the operating system. Let me show an RM1x:

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/picture_ar ... gh_jpg.jpg
Yes but i am planning to add the possibilty to make a file image list with the pc software.

randomusername

Post by randomusername »

Topic: Yamaha RM1X Floppy Drive Replacement

Hello!

I have been looking to solve the Yamaha RM1x Data Storage Limitation
and i have come across a website, which gives an overview of
hardware floppy drive emulators.
As far as i can tell, most of these devices do not require any
specific operation system or software to work and have been developed
to replace floppy drives in industrial machinery.

Overview "FLOPPY DRIVE EMULATORS"(2009)

Now, the prices seem to be a bit high (~200$+).

BUT i have been able to find an eBay shop specialized in selling floppy replacements:

Floppy Replacement Store (HK)

These drives cost only about 80$.
(Although i am not quite certain about compatibility.
But i think as long as it has
the same power supply (5V, 4 pins)
and interface (34 pins),
it should be ok. Am i correct?)

It has been suggested, that a USB Stick would not be a good solution,
since it would be exposed to physical force all the time.

I think a possible solution to this problem might be one of these extra-small USB drives:

http://www.adorama.com/images/Product/VDLAMKUF4G_1.jpg

LaCie 4GB MosKeyto Ultra-Small USB Flash Drive

LaCie 8GB MosKeyto Ultra-Small USB Flash Drive

As you can see, these small USB drives have approximately the same dimensions as the Floppy Disk Eject Button
on this picture:

http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/fit,40 ... 2c57f3.jpg

So, this is what i have in mind.
What do you think about it?

Unfortunately i am a bit scary to open up my RM1x device,
since i have a 1 year warranty pending for it.

So, i thought, maybe i could convince someone who also has the RM1x
to try my approach and tell everyone else interested if and how it works.

Thank you very much for reading!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hi,

You are here on the HxC Floppy Emulator Forum, and i don't supply support for others device here.

More informations here :

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulator/

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... ALESPOINTS

https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... index.html

randomusername

Post by randomusername »

Jeff wrote:Hi,

You are here on the HxC Floppy Emulator Forum, and i don't supply support for others device here.
Hello, thanks for pointing this out.

My question was more or less of a general nature.
I also wanted to reply to the user "Frank Hileman".

Since i thought third-party readers might be interested, especially RM1x users, i decided to post it publicly.

Also i would like to know if Floppy Emulators in general are capable to operate as long as no additional software or OS is required and the hardware looks compatible (4 pins, 32 pins).
(I do understand however, that Floppy Disks under custom OS require the Floppy Emulator to be customized as well.)

I thought since this is a Floppy emulation Forum someone might be able to answer that (I have to admit i am not into electronics).

I don't expect "official" support, i just thought people over here might have the technical knowledge to throw in a few ideas and opinions.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

randomusername wrote: Also i would like to know if Floppy Emulators in general are capable to operate as long as no additional software or OS is required and the hardware looks compatible (4 pins, 32 pins).
No. most floppy emulators doesn't work with special format (for example with 1024 bytes sector size commonly used with samplers and keyboards)
The HxC Floppy Emulator supports this.
randomusername wrote: (I do understand however, that Floppy Disks under custom OS require the Floppy Emulator to be customized as well.)
Not the HxC Floppy Emulator.
randomusername wrote: I thought since this is a Floppy emulation Forum someone might be able to answer that (I have to admit i am not into electronics).

I don't expect "official" support, i just thought people over here might have the technical knowledge to throw in a few ideas and opinions.
A feedback for your emulators here:
http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?PHPSESSI ... pic=186.45

randomusername

Post by randomusername »

thank you very much, jeff!

i will stay tuned, maybe i can get in touch with Frank Hileman and we can experiment with this a bit.

if HxC would be able to do the job for the RM1x,
either as SD or USB drive solution,
in the form or dimensions of a 3,5' Floppy drive, it would be a good market niche!

because the RM1x is a very reliable piece of hardware and many musicians use it as a core piece in their setup.