Extension cable for LCD display?

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
wood_jl

Extension cable for LCD display?

Post by wood_jl »

I was thinking about putting this inside Atari SF354 case, for use with OLD 520ST that has no drive built-in. Would the little connector PC board in the back of the SF354 cause any incompatibilities? If the firmware was to be updated in the future to allow for 2 virtual floppy drives, would that PC board interfere with the drive select ability of the virtual #2 floppy? Perhaps that PC board forces the 2nd drive to be plugged into the 2nd port on the back of the drive?

Was thinking of mounting the LCD in the top of the drive case, but would need a ribbon cable (???) or something to extend a 2-3 inches. Is this possible, and what would such a cable be called? (for the search for supplies)

Could drill holes in the top of the case directly over the buttons and put some lightweight wooden dowl pins in to "extend" the buttons - or get new buttons, mount to drive case and solder in?

wood_jl

Post by wood_jl »

\

NOBODY??? Nobody wants to try to make something that looks DECENT and still has access to see the LCD???? I suppose could solder wires to the LCD hookup then.

I would like to route the LCD outside the computer case (put on top of STfm) or outside the SF354. Has it been proven to work in SF354? Never been tested in one? Have to find out for myself?

In the sample video, they remove the case top (and leave it off) in order to install the LCD. Would it be nice to extend the LCD and buttons?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

wood_jl wrote:\

NOBODY??? Nobody wants to try to make something that looks DECENT and still has access to see the LCD???? I suppose could solder wires to the LCD hookup then.

I would like to route the LCD outside the computer case (put on top of STfm) or outside the SF354. Has it been proven to work in SF354? Never been tested in one? Have to find out for myself?

In the sample video, they remove the case top (and leave it off) in order to install the LCD. Would it be nice to extend the LCD and buttons?
Please read the datasheet (mechanical layout ):
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... ulator.pdf

wood_jl

Post by wood_jl »

Jeff wrote:
wood_jl wrote:\
Please read the datasheet (mechanical layout ):
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... ulator.pdf

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am not a technician. I can poke around and figure some stuff out very carefully. But I have little knowledge and do not know the names. As for the name of the LCD connector, I would not know a search term in order to construct an extension cable. (example: when I was looking for 41256 RAM chips and did not know they were called "41256" it was pretty hard to find them)

The datasheet says "tested with Atari ST" - but ST in the videos is STfm or STe with internal drive. I was hoping to learn - from somebody who has tested the device inside an external ST drive. I think the little PC board in the back of the SF354 is strange the way it handles the drive select - plug a second floppy into the first and it has changed drive select with no jumper???? That is the reason for my question about using the board inside SF354 - I do not know if this will be exactly the same as plugging into STfm internal floppy ribbon cable, for functionality. Was hoping to hear that the board is tested in external ST drive as well as internal STfm/STe placement, or that in theory the external drive (select) is exactly the same and it should work.