Bug report for HxC Floppy Emulator Software

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
JohnFante

Bug report for HxC Floppy Emulator Software

Post by JohnFante »

I am not sure where I file a bug report for the HxC Floppy Emulator Software so here goes!

I am using my HxC SD connected to an Enterprise computer. There is a HxC manager program for the Enterprise that allows me to mount floppys from the computer. I have attached my hxcsdfe.cfg that works. It is from 2013 when the HxC manager program was written by a man called ZoZo. Huge guru on Enterprise that is also active here.

However, I think that the latest version of the HxC floppy emulator software (2.1.11.1) makes changes in/corrupts the CFG-file in a way that causes the HxC manager to stop being able to mount disks. And the error does not disappear if I revert the changes.

More precisely if I make a change in the CFG file via the floppy emulator software (for instance tell it to forget the last loaded floppy between boots) to a CFG-file that works then HXC manager stops being able to mount disk. The problem persists if I revert the change so the file - at least in theory - should be exactly the same.

I have attached the "corrupted" hxcsdfe.cfg I get when I make changes.

If I replace the CFG file with the original one that works then everything works again - even thou the settings are exactly the same in the HxC emulator software.

The reasons is proberly that there has been substantial changes in the floppy emulator software since 2013 that breaks compatibility over the years but none the less it is a bug :-)
Attachments
HXCSDFE.CFG.error.zip
(621 Bytes) Downloaded 284 times
HXCSDFE.CFG.zip
(680 Bytes) Downloaded 326 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Bug report for HxC Floppy Emulator Software

Post by Jeff »

What "say" the file selector exactly ?

JohnFante

Post by JohnFante »

Thank you for replying :-)

There is a forum post on the enterpriseforever.com forum that describes the problem in more detail with videos. If it is ok I will refer you to that:

https://enterpriseforever.com/hardware/ ... csdfe-cfg/

For a long time I thought the issues I had was related to the Enterprise HxC-manager however this last issue with the cfg file is - as least as far as I can tell - related to the Floppy Emulator Software.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Are you under linux or mac os x ?

JohnFante

Post by JohnFante »

I normally use the Windows version on a Windows 7 installation running on Parallels on Mac.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I have compared both cfg files and the only difference is that the last selected images slots is cleared for the "error" version. This is definitely not an bug, and this shouldn't be a problem for the selector software.

Anyway i also see that the cfg files are not in "autoboot" mode ? Is it something normal with this selector software ? The HxC selectors use the slot/autoboot mode to program the images selections.

JohnFante

Post by JohnFante »

Thank you for looking into this :-) ... and great to know that my suspicion was wrong.

It is normal for the Enterprise selector software not to have it in "autoboot" mode. I do not know the reason why but I will ask the author - ZoZo - to chip in with and explanation so that is clarified.

Once again thank you for looking in to this!

JohnFante

Post by JohnFante »

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

JohnFante wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:09 pm
Asked ZoZo and got this reply:

https://enterpriseforever.com/hardware/ ... /#msg72618
So we both said "it's not a bug, it's a feature". :wink:

JohnFante

Post by JohnFante »

... and they are allways the best ... thank you for looking into this! :-)