How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Post Reply
Freddos
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:17 pm

How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

Post by Freddos » Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi I just bought a HxC 2001 and connected it to my Amiga 1200 and it works great at first glance, and searching this forum I didn't see any similar questions so I'm probably so newbie so I just don't understand.

I started picking out disks and assigning them using slot A (DF0) and slot B (DF1) for multidisk games. But when I got to index 30 I started feeling I must be missing something as the navigation using the emulator buttons are quite slow. My first thought was you setup everything by assigning disks to indexes with slot A (and some also with slot B). After thats done you instead use the emulator physical buttons to select which disks you want to load, but pressing a navigation button takes around 1 second to complete (with a faster and faster beeping sound for every press) before the next press is active (if I press before it's just ignored) which means if I have 60 assigned disks it take around a minute for me to select the right one. If I hold the button it goes back to autoboot and I need to start over. Is there some way to navigate faster or make it jump longer steps? Changing long press to long step (10 at a time maybe)?

The other way I could see it used is if you always use the autoboot and select indexes there but looking at the help there I don't see how you can activate a index (with slot A and slot B) and reset and have that selected? The only option I found was to select a disk-file and insert that on index 1 slot A and reset, which doesn't use the nice index list I have setup.

So how do you use it with hundreds of disks?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:20 am

Which model have you ?

Freddos
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

Post by Freddos » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:04 am

Ah, the black Rev F with SD card

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am

Freddos wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:04 am
Ah, the black Rev F with SD card
How do you use it ? With the file selector or directly on the lcd/buttons interface?

Freddos
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

Post by Freddos » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am
Freddos wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:04 am
Ah, the black Rev F with SD card
How do you use it ? With the file selector or directly on the lcd/buttons interface?
In the first paragraph I'm first using the hxc autoboot program that boots when pressing the middle LCD-button to setup everything, assigning indexes to disk-file. Then when resetting and using LCD navigation button I realized it was quite slow so navigating more then around 30 presetup indexes seems a bit too slow.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 5683
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Freddos wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm
Jeff wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am
Freddos wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:04 am
Ah, the black Rev F with SD card
How do you use it ? With the file selector or directly on the lcd/buttons interface?
In the first paragraph I'm first using the hxc autoboot program that boots when pressing the middle LCD-button to setup everything, assigning indexes to disk-file. Then when resetting and using LCD navigation button I realized it was quite slow so navigating more then around 30 presetup indexes seems a bit too slow.
In normal mode, eject the current selected image (button select) and then the browsing should be faster.

Freddos
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Re: How to use the HxC with lots of disks?

Post by Freddos » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:08 am

Jeff wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:44 pm
Freddos wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:30 pm
Jeff wrote:
Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:19 am


How do you use it ? With the file selector or directly on the lcd/buttons interface?
In the first paragraph I'm first using the hxc autoboot program that boots when pressing the middle LCD-button to setup everything, assigning indexes to disk-file. Then when resetting and using LCD navigation button I realized it was quite slow so navigating more then around 30 presetup indexes seems a bit too slow.
In normal mode, eject the current selected image (button select) and then the browsing should be faster.
Ah, thanks that sounds exactly like the thing I need. I only knew the middle button opened the autoboot program, but after you pointed me in the right direction I suddenly found a lot of info on it, like I could eject it before shutdown and it will not autoload at next startup. A thing I could live with, but now I don't have to :) Thanks!

Post Reply