HxC SD Floppy Emulator hangs when powered on when connected to the H89.

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
norby

HxC SD Floppy Emulator hangs when powered on when connected to the H89.

Post by norby »

If I power-up the H89 first and the I power-up the HxC emulator, the HxC fails to initialize. The LCD displays garbage characters.

If I power-up first the HxC and then followed by the H89, everything works fine.

It seems that there is some leakage voltage going into the HxC via the floppy cable when the H89 is power up first.
Norby

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HxC SD Floppy Emulator hangs when powered on when connected to the H89.

Post by Jeff »

norby wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:58 am
If I power-up the H89 first and the I power-up the HxC emulator, the HxC fails to initialize. The LCD displays garbage characters.

If I power-up first the HxC and then followed by the H89, everything works fine.

It seems that there is some leakage voltage going into the HxC via the floppy cable when the H89 is power up first.
Yes. What you are doing is bad ;). The HxC is "powered" with the floppy bus pull-up through the ic clamping diodes and internal hxc pull-up.
In fact the HxC is initialized, but the screen isn't. Remove the SD , wait some seconds, the screen should be reinitialized automatically.

norby

Post by norby »

Thanks for the feedback. Can you run your LCD reset routine multiple times during power-on to avoid the need to remove the SD card? I will like to remove the SD card only when the HxC is powered down.
Norby

donkeyhotay

Post by donkeyhotay »

Hi norby. I see this thread is a couple of years old, but I hope you're still around. I have an H89 and I'm thinking about trying to bring it back to life using the HxC emulator. I was wondering if you had any luck getting it to work with your H89. Thanks