Where do i start?

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
ncherry

Where do i start?

Post by ncherry »

I have several vintage machines, one OS9 system (starts with a CoCo OS9 image so 40T as a start), a couple of CoCos, an Atari 800XL with an ATR8000 (a CP/M machine that support 5 1/4 and 8" drives), a DOS laptop (720K?) and an early Windows laptop (external 3 1/2", 1.44M). I have yet to clean up the older drives and I hope they work.

I'm not sure where to start or if I can use the HxC on any of the systems. I'd like to start with the OS9 system (DSDD 40T and 80T). What do I need to know? I want to purchase an emu but I have no idea which one.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Where do i start?

Post by Jeff »

First you need to check the hardware compatibility : are these system using an standard 34 pins floppy interface ?

ncherry

Post by ncherry »

Jeff wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:18 am
First you need to check the hardware compatibility : are these system using an standard 34 pins floppy interface ?
Most of them are. I'm unsure of the various laptop computers I have but the Sardis ST-2900 and CoCo (first victims ;-) )) definitely are.

I've done some more research and it appears someone has the CoCo running OS9 using one of the HxC boards. I just don't know which board to start out with. I think there was also mention of using a modified xml file. I'll need to learn more about that.

Thanks

laferrierem

Post by laferrierem »

Hello.

I am also trying to get the HXC to work on a CoCo. I have tried it on 2 machines, a CoCo 2 and a CoCo 3 with the same results. I am able to 'create' a blank floppy hfe file from the HXCFloppy emulator. I can then put the SD card in the HXC emulator hooked up to a FD-502.

Once at this point the disk is unreadable from the Coco, not a big deal. DSKINI 0 and it formats properly, I can save, read from it etc. just like expected. But back on the Windows machine I am unable to browse the hfe file from the SD card?

I am thinking there is something in the settings, MFM, sectors per track etc. If I recall the CoCo (before OS9) was single side, 35 tracks @ double density?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

laferrierem wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:24 pm
Hello.

I am also trying to get the HXC to work on a CoCo. I have tried it on 2 machines, a CoCo 2 and a CoCo 3 with the same results. I am able to 'create' a blank floppy hfe file from the HXCFloppy emulator. I can then put the SD card in the HXC emulator hooked up to a FD-502.

Once at this point the disk is unreadable from the Coco, not a big deal. DSKINI 0 and it formats properly, I can save, read from it etc. just like expected. But back on the Windows machine I am unable to browse the hfe file from the SD card?

I am thinking there is something in the settings, MFM, sectors per track etc. If I recall the CoCo (before OS9) was single side, 35 tracks @ double density?
Hello,

What do you expecting when you say "browse the hfe" ? You mean browse the Coco file system into the HFE ? If so this is not implemented into the hxc software. Maybe there is some third party softwares supporting this.