data information

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
espartan

data information

Post by espartan »

Hello!
Let's consider I have the same hardware as the "SDCARD HxC Floppy Emulator". I could use the .hex file to finish and start enjoy the project, but I wouldn't learn much.
So I am thinking in writting my own source code for the PIC18F4525.
Could anyone send me the sources for the microcontroller? If sources are not available for the public, could anybody explain what to do with the signals?
I need state machine of the signals, which starts the communication what I should reply, when i could send data, how to finish the communication etc
Or where I can read information related to this.

Thanks in advance
Espartan Guy

espartan

Post by espartan »

Excuse fellows, I just wanna ask if I could explain myself clear ???
Did I say something wrong???
Any kind soul who can help me, would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Espartan Guy

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

espartan wrote:Excuse fellows, I just wanna ask if I could explain myself clear ???
Did I say something wrong???
Any kind soul who can help me, would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Espartan Guy

i understand, but why did you want remake the wheel ?

espartan

Post by espartan »

I don't want to remake the wheel.
I want to integrate the floppy communication (signal handling), into a university project.
The project, is based in reutlization of old motherboards to make a mobile robot. I would be awsome to integrate your code.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Espartan Guy

Jman

Post by Jman »

I also was looking for source code for the sake of learning. I am very interested in electronic communications and I think converting from one protocol to another is a good way to learn. I have already done BCD to RS232 but would like something more challenging hence I started with my floppy drive to flash memory project (and later found out that Jeff had the same idea and has already made much progress).

What frustrates me is that information on floppy drive protocol seems very hard to come by. I find this strange for such an old technology.

In Jeff's defense, I think he put much blood, sweat, and tears into this project and he has every right to keep it to himself. Well done Jeff!

espartan

Post by espartan »

Jeff,

I've been reading all the stuff in your website
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html
(Floppy user guide and the pages 7-9 from the datasheet)

Really I don't have idea where I can start, I have no clue what to do with the signals. Please tell what else should I read. It would be great to have the state machine of the comunication, so I could start writting the code.

Regards
Leandro