Error with hfe to kryoflux stream

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Kingstener

Re: Error with hfe to kryoflux stream

Post by Kingstener »

I think that's normal, these systems use some area outside the normal data block or have abnormal mixed formats.It is difficult to duplicate or archive these...

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

BTW, a question on the edge, the v2.0.26 was the last Linux version of the HxC that I could compile completely, now it works only up to hxcfe, then comes depending on the used fltk-1.3.x-rxxxx version tons of different error messages from the XftDraw / Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver section. Which fltk version do you use exactly? The fltk-1.3.x seems to be out of date now?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:41 am
BTW, a question on the edge, the v2.0.26 was the last Linux version of the HxC that I could compile completely, now it works only up to hxcfe, then comes depending on the used fltk-1.3.x-rxxxx version tons of different error messages from the XftDraw / Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver section. Which fltk version do you use exactly? The fltk-1.3.x seems to be out of date now?
i currently use the 1.3.4 for linux.
Regarding the errors you probably don't have some x11 devel librairies. Some "apt get install" should fix the problem.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

just tested successfully the last fltk available (fltk-1.3.4-2) :

http://www.fltk.org/software.php?VERSIO ... rce.tar.gz

on a "more or less" fresh system you need this for fltk :
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libxext-dev libxfixes-dev

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Yes, the devel librairies I have all installed and the last attempt was also with the fltk-1.3.4-2, but even paged errors with undefined references to variables in FcPattern, XftDraw, XftFont ...
I will test this again soon with a freshly applied system.
Thank you again for your help.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:04 pm
Yes, the devel librairies I have all installed and the last attempt was also with the fltk-1.3.4-2, but even paged errors with undefined references to variables in FcPattern, XftDraw, XftFont ...
I will test this again soon with a freshly applied system.
Thank you again for your help.
I just use a LinuxMint 18.3 + the build-essential + the above stuff.
So nothing special.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

I use Ubuntu 16.04 64bit...
A fresh system brought exactly the same error list, only after "-lXrender -lXft -lfontconfig -lXcursor -lXinerama" was added to the ldflags, everything works.
But there is still a flickering of the Floppy Map window in the track analyser every time i move the mouse.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Jeff wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm
Tests done

-> KF dtc windows version : Works in all cases
-> KF dtc linux version : Got the same error when the track size is above the standard value.

it look likes there is something in the dtc linux version not working properly (track size vs bitrate compensation ?) ...
This error seems to affect only the 64bit Linux version of dtc, under 32bit it runs synonymous error-free.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:29 pm
I use Ubuntu 16.04 64bit...
A fresh system brought exactly the same error list, only after "-lXrender -lXft -lfontconfig -lXcursor -lXinerama" was added to the ldflags, everything works.
But there is still a flickering of the Floppy Map window in the track analyser every time i move the mouse.
interesting. the 1.3.4-2 have fixed the issue here...

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Now that the compile goes through I was able to test all available fltk from 1.3.3 up to 1.4.x, the flicker in the floppy map window occurs in all versions :shock:

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

to come back again to the origin ...
The error with dtc should be in the HxC, when converting the file formats.
The "error free" working versions of dtc only conceal this.
Unfortunately, I'm not enough in the substance for more detail, maybe you can readout there more? -> https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1398

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Kingstener wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:23 pm
to come back again to the origin ...
The error with dtc should be in the HxC, when converting the file formats.
The "error free" working versions of dtc only conceal this.
Unfortunately, I'm not enough in the substance for more detail, maybe you can readout there more? -> https://forum.kryoflux.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1398
Yes i have a fix for this index problem with dtc. it seems quite easy to abuse it. the fix/workaround will be probably available this in the next year release.
anyway i don't plan to put too much effort on the kf formats since this doesn't bring me any revenue.
you should ask to the kf team the support of td0, imd and others formats support you want.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Td0 to kfstream to convert makes no problems when writing on disk.
Since I've been using a SDCard HxC floppy emulator for a long time, most of my images are in HFE format.
Maybe I should ask Keir Fraser if he's expanding his disk utilities, he does not seem to pay much attention to revenue.
Or if it is so easy, can I rework in the change myself? For Linux I have to compile it anyway by myself
Last edited by Kingstener on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, since all sources are available, you can apply the fix you want.

You can use a third party software with your Kryoflux (HxC, SAMdisk, Aufit, disk utilities, whatelse...), but the best solution is to contact the product manufacturer to ask them to directly support the TD0 and others formats. I am not supposed to do support for these manufacturers for free. And the HxC KF stream export is experimental since it's not directly related to the floppy emulation.

Btw i am not affiliated with SPS and i fully understand that they don't like support requests with third-party software involved. But i am also quite surprised that so many users of these kind of devices need to rely on third-party tools to write back these images. This is just an ascertainment and this appears to be a general "problem" : competitors products also often rely on third party tools...

btw i will probably finish my special firmware for the Gotek. This firmware transform it as a Floppy Disk reader/writer. And of course a new file format will come with it (sorry :lol:)
HxCStreamer.jpg
HxCStreamer.jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 6593 times
The Gotek HxC-Streamer is connected to the PC with an USB A-A and the floppy drive is connected to the gotek with a modified floppy ribbon. Nothing more is needed in the hardware side.

Kingstener

Post by Kingstener »

Interesting project.
There were already some devices for data recovery of old disks, unfortunately, all bring their own format with them and at last they disappear from the scene. So one depends on software that can convert these formats or the old computers are only for viewing or to scrap. If there were not a few crazy people to employ with them, the origin of computer history is lost sometime. I'm still a part of the generation that has experienced the beginning and I have already forgotten many of things...