Help - Half dead Gotek?

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
xeon3d

Help - Half dead Gotek?

Post by xeon3d »

Hi.

So a month or so ago, I bought another gotek (my 2nd) from Aliexpress, and I was suprised (in a bad way), that the version that I had bought had no buttons, no lcd, just the usb port and a single led.

I had some extra push buttons from other projects, so I soldered a couple to the standard locations while waiting for proper 90º pushbuttons. I've also soldered some headers to the LCD part and also to the programming port.

Yesterday I took the plunge and bought another HxC for it and after a bit of trouble (case-sensitive passwords..eh), I think I managed to get it flashed with the bootloader.

Now, I remembered I still had the 3 digit LCD from my original Gotek which got an OLED Screen, so I tried to connect it to the headers, but nothing showed lighted up. Today, some more OLED screens arrived... and they don't show up anything either when I power the gotek.

Any ideas? I'm almost at the point to dismantle my original gotek to see if the lcd screens and the 3 digit led worked.

xeon3d

Re: Help - Half dead Gotek?

Post by xeon3d »

Forget about it, already trashed the gotek.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Probably some pull up resistors not populated on the gotek...

xeon3d

Post by xeon3d »

Well Jeff, It seems while soldering new headers and whatnot I've managed to rip some traces on the board, so trash it went.

I'm not really thinking of ordering another, so I dunno what to do with the 2nd "bootloader" I bought from you.

I'm not even considering a refund as you have no way (I think) of knowing if I'm telling the truth or not. I'm not sure if there's anything we can do about it.

Ruined traces:

Old functioning gotek (powered by a arduino uno as all my towers are on my "cave") with broken one on top:

xeon3d

Post by xeon3d »

I'm going to try and attempt to solder directly to STM legs.

Also, it seems all the smd components are the same between both pcbs.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

xeon3d wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:17 am
I'm going to try and attempt to solder directly to STM legs.

Also, it seems all the smd components are the same between both pcbs.
No don't try this, you will fail.
instead try to remove the green varnish on the pcb trace to solder a wire.

Btw both LED are needed since they are used as pull-up on the screen data and clock lines. So you need to add the missing LED !
( yes this design is quite odd ...)

Vaklin

Post by Vaklin »

Bit more about the LED's, please. All my GOTEK's are with one LED only. I ordered some OLED's, so what I should do to make them working?
With schematic, if this is possible...

Vaklin

Post by Vaklin »

Ups, the second one is hidden inside the box. But, anyway, schematic is welcome.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Vaklin wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:40 pm
Ups, the second one is hidden inside the box. But, anyway, schematic is welcome.
to be taken with caution, but seems mostly right :

https://cortexamigafloppydrive.files.wo ... matic1.jpg

Vaklin

Post by Vaklin »

10x Jeff!
I posted the same some time ago. I seen, the LED's are on Clock and IO buses. So, I think, is no problem at all to put some kiloohms resistor instead of LED, isn't it?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Vaklin wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:00 pm
10x Jeff!
I posted the same some time ago. I seen, the LED's are on Clock and IO buses. So, I think, is no problem at all to put some kiloohms resistor instead of LED, isn't it?
yes 4.7Kohms should be fine.