Extracting image from single sided single density disk

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
huebnerie

Extracting image from single sided single density disk

Post by huebnerie »

Hi all,

I read that the HxC can emulate 125kbit/s floppies, but how would I extract an image from such?
The disks from a Shugart SA400 floppy are formatted at 80kBytes and the drive is running at 300 RPM with 125kbit/s, something a PC would probably not read. I was able to extract 250 and 300kbit/s disks (5.25 and 8") with various disk imagers on some old PC, but nothing with 125kbit/s so far.

Would I need a Kryoflux for that...?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Extracting image from single sided single density disk

Post by Jeff »

huebnerie wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:27 am
Hi all,

I read that the HxC can emulate 125kbit/s floppies, but how would I extract an image from such?
The disks from a Shugart SA400 floppy are formatted at 80kBytes and the drive is running at 300 RPM with 125kbit/s, something a PC would probably not read. I was able to extract 250 and 300kbit/s disks (5.25 and 8") with various disk imagers on some old PC, but nothing with 125kbit/s so far.

Would I need a Kryoflux for that...?
Is it 125kbit/s at the FM level or data/"user" level ? Many old docs talking about 125kbit/s mention in fact the 250kbit/s at the FM level. In this case any PC with an FDC able to support FM disks can read them. Otherwise a specific board is maybe needed (Kryoflux, SCP...)
Anyway i think that a PC can read these disks with the right software (ImageDisk).

huebnerie

Post by huebnerie »

Thanks I'll give it a try. The service manual of the SA400 drive mentions a 250kHz test signal iirc.
At the moment I'm struggling with a Fujitsu Desktop PC (Pentium III, DOS boot) and imagedisk which works fine for FlexOS disks (PPG Waveterm...), even the 8" ones, but fails badly even on 360k DOS floppies.

I am reassembling an old PC with a not-so-custom FDC for those and will try the SS/SD disks on it as well before I go for a Kryoflux.

jbfairlight

Post by jbfairlight »

he he its for PPG :wink:

Nicole

Post by Nicole »

I think so too that it is for PPG. ;)
Web Designer at Petstreetmall
"We are your pet supplies expert"