SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator production line suggestion

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
MikeHunt

SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator production line suggestion

Post by MikeHunt »

Hi,

I have been following the various SD-card floppy emulator projects for the Amiga for a year now. As far as I can understand there are 2 ways of achieving such a device:
1) build one yourself (from schematics)
2) buy one from some other guy (who built it himself)

Now, I don't have any special electronic skills, and from what I understand the first option requires creating a PCB, welding all components onto it, programming the PIC and then you can finnally plug it into your Amiga.

The part where you create the PCB and where you program the PIC occurs to me to require some special hardware that probably most (normal) people don't have.

So here is my suggestion: would it be a good idea for some guy (like this PeterSieg guy) to create the PCB's and program the PIC and also purchase the rest of the resistors and other parts for the board and then sell it off as a "do-it-yourself" kit?

Wouldn't it be much faster to do it like this? Of course you could still also create complete sets for a little extra.

petersieg

Post by petersieg »

@MikeHunt:

Quite some people are waiting for the final release from Jeff for his HxC SD floppy emulator.. but this point is NOT yet reached. So we have to wait a bit ;-)

In the german forum64 and a1k are absolutely some interrest on this version (app. 100% Amiga users only.. no other retro computer systems).

If Jeff doesn't step into pcb/DIY complete package/ready to run devices, I am planning to offer at least pcb's and programmed PIC as a DIY kit.
Do to legal issues, I can not offer ready to run devices within germany.
That doesn't could for outside germany..

However, we have a friend here from poland, that I am pretty sure will also
step into this and he doesn't have to follow this german regulations - that much to an equal european law and equal regulations ;-)

But before Jeff has released the final version.. I assume, you can only
build and probably buy the prototyp version (not from me!)..

Peter

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

petersieg wrote: [...]
In the german forum64 and a1k are absolutely some interrest on this version (app. 100% Amiga users only.. no other retro computer systems).
[...]

Don't forget that the write support will NOT be supported for Amiga with the PIC floppy emulator. Please inform your potential Amiga buyer of this issue.

petersieg

Post by petersieg »

Jeff wrote:
Don't forget that the write support will NOT be supported for Amiga with the PIC floppy emulator. Please inform your potential Amiga buyer of this issue.
Yes, I know.. and will make sure they know as well.. This is for Amiga just a stand alone SD Card version - still read only!

Peter

MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Peter:
Thanks for the answers. The DIY kit you are planning is exactly what I was looking for. Will it include all needed parts or just the PCB and programmed PIC?

Jeff:
I know that many people have asked this before, but can you give some kind of ETA? Like will it be in Q2-2010, Q3-2010 or maybe not until 2011.

Is there a mailinglist you can sign up to, to be notified when the final release *is* ready?

CrazyIcecap

Post by CrazyIcecap »

But the final version will have write support for Amiga?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

CrazyIcecap wrote:But the final version will have write support for Amiga?

As i wrote above the final (pic version) will NOT have the write support on Amiga.
For this feature you need to change all the design and increase the final prize. Since many Amiga users claims that floppy emulators are useless (-> WHDLoad), i don't want invest (and waste) time on this feature.

MikeHunt wrote: Jeff:
I know that many people have asked this before, but can you give some kind of ETA? Like will it be in Q2-2010, Q3-2010 or maybe not until 2011.

Is there a mailinglist you can sign up to, to be notified when the final release *is* ready?
No announcement until there are something ready.

MikeHunt

Post by MikeHunt »

Jeff wrote:No announcement until there are something ready.
Damn, you drive a hard bargain ;-)

Oh well, I guess I will just have to wait between 5 seconds and 80 years :D

CrazyIcecap

Post by CrazyIcecap »

Jeff wrote:
CrazyIcecap wrote:But the final version will have write support for Amiga?
Since many Amiga users claims that floppy emulators are useless (-> WHDLoad), i don't want invest (and waste) time on this feature.
Hmmm...almost all of our (petersieg and i) boards were ordered by Amiga-Users, and since most of the Amigas are A500, WHDLOAD is not a real option.
I thought you changed the PCB-Design because of the limitations of the current version, which is not able to do write-support on amiga...
So the SD-HxC is going to be just a stand-alone-version of the USB-HxC for Amiga-Users.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

CrazyIcecap wrote:Hmmm...almost all of our (petersieg and i) boards were ordered by Amiga-Users, and since most of the Amigas are A500, WHDLOAD is not a real option.
It's maybe because you have sold them on an Commodore forum ?
CrazyIcecap wrote: I thought you changed the PCB-Design because of the limitations of the current version, which is not able to do write-support on amiga...
So the SD-HxC is going to be just a stand-alone-version of the USB-HxC for Amiga-Users.
Yes exactly, but without the the variable bitrate (IPF) support.

amigagroup

Post by amigagroup »

[quote="Jeff"] Since many Amiga users claims that floppy emulators are useless (-> WHDLoad), ...[/quote]

Just a small comment on this:
I have started to revive my amiga experiences just a few weeks ago, and I do not know much about WHDLoad, but I wouldn't think of it as a real alternative to a floppy emulation.

I think WHDLoad may be nice when you're familiar with the late Amiga development, like hard disks, Kickstart >=2.0 and so on. Personally, I want to have the original Amiga 500 feeling. I want to be able to boot ANY game, not just a hd-compatible subset. I don't want to bother with any Workbench-based loader mechanism to start games.

If I were in the mood to offend other people, I would say that WHDLoad is something for people who didn't want to realize that Amiga was already dead when the 1200 came up.. ;-)

Jman

Re: SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator production line suggestion

Post by Jman »

MikeHunt wrote:The part where you create the PCB and where you program the PIC occurs to me to require some special hardware that probably most (normal) people don't have.
Depends how much time you are willing to spend but can be done. Ask at electronics repair shops, electronics suppliers, etc. Many will have a programmer for the PIC and will program a program of your choice onto the PIC for a small fee. Also, they might tell you who can make a PCB for you from the design.

I am going to try make my own PCB using Press n Peel Blue ("http://shop.rabtron.co.za/catalog/produ ... ts_id=3026" see pdf for details).