Drive Selection + Gap identification

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
huebnerie

Drive Selection + Gap identification

Post by huebnerie »

Hi all,
my Rev F does not let me choose a drive :( Any idea what I might be missing?
I have enabled two drives with Shugart settings in the config file.
In the menu I can only select images which are then loaded to the first drive.

Another point: when I create an empty disk with 77/4/1024, FM, 360 RPM, 500kbit/s I can format it in the tarrget, use it for read and write and also sector-copy a boot disk to it which then works just fine.
But when I make a disk image from this boot disk on the PC and convert the IMG file it won't work - the gapping of the sectors (start and in between) looks totally different. Is there any way to further analyze the working image to derive the correct settings for the imported images?

Thanks!
Stefan

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Drive Selection + Gap identification

Post by Jeff »

To select an image for the other drive, select an image, make a long press on the select button then choose the drive and the image.

For the other point share all your images (hfe + raw).

huebnerie

Post by huebnerie »

Hi,
thanks.

I will upload three images this evening for a PPG Waveterm because it also uses this Eltec board and offers better troubleshooting options due to the large screen and keyboard option compared to the CNC machine I originally needed the HxC for.

1 - a raw floppy image created on a PC using Anadisk or similar. Writing back this image on a DOS PC to a floppy results in a bootable disk

2 - a HFE file made from this image that does not boot, the HxC loads Sector 1 from Side 0, then jumps to Side 1 and then the Eltec freezes

3 - a HFE file made by creating an empty 77/4/1024 image, FM mode, 500kbit/s, 360RPM which was then formatted using the Flex OS disk tools, after that a working boot disk (another than the one above unfortunately) got hard-copied (sector by sector) to the empty image and it boots perfectly.

The data is distributed quite differently on both disks, I alread played with Pre-gap and gap with no success.

huebnerie

Post by huebnerie »

Here are the files, descriptions below
Attachments
os_hardcopied_to_empty_hfe_container.zip
Here I made a HFE container file with 77/4/1024, 360 RPM, 500kbit/s. I formatted it using Flex tools and made a hard copy from a working boot disk. This one boots fine from the HxC.
(131.78 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
os_converted_from_dsk_image.zip
This one was created with the same parameters, but imported from the raw dsk file below using the default settings the HxC tool gave me. While the dsk image written to a real floppy works, the hfe file does not boot.
(153.79 KiB) Downloaded 265 times
os.zip
This is the OS file used to import to a HFE container. It works on real floppy, but not imported to HxC. It is a newer version than the hardcopied version above!
(87.92 KiB) Downloaded 255 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The sector numbering between sides are different.
Use the attached xml file to load your dsk file. (choose "xml file layout").
Attachments
PPG_Waveterm_Wave_disklayout.xml.zip
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 287 times

huebnerie

Post by huebnerie »

Hi Jeff,
great info, thanks. Will test it next week.
How did you exactly find the wrong different numbering scheme?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

huebnerie wrote:Hi Jeff,
great info, thanks. Will test it next week.
How did you exactly find the wrong different numbering scheme?
With the track viewer. It shows the sector and their id.
on the formatted hfe, they are different (see the side 1)

huebnerie

Post by huebnerie »

Ok thanks, obviously I really missed such an easy thing, easy as in visible with the on-board tools

huebnerie

Post by huebnerie »

Hm, didn't get the difference yet.
When I open the two files and look at the sector IDs I see 1 to 4 on Track 0 Side 0 and sector ID 5 to 8 on Track 0 Side 1, same on the following tracks...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

huebnerie wrote:Hm, didn't get the difference yet.
When I open the two files and look at the sector IDs I see 1 to 4 on Track 0 Side 0 and sector ID 5 to 8 on Track 0 Side 1, same on the following tracks...
on your generated hfe the both sides have the 1 to 4 sector id.

huebnerie

Post by huebnerie »

Wow, yes - I fear I have opened two hardcopied images on my other PC. Now I looked at the files I uploaded on my laptop I used for image creation and saw it. Great, I'll let you know when I tested it.

Which parameter in the xml file causes proper handling? I'm asking because I might need to add 8" drive emulation of the same capacity (77/16/256 then)