SD version - dual layer board 85mm * 96 mm

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
lotharek

SD version - dual layer board 85mm * 96 mm

Post by lotharek »

Hello everyone,

I`d like to show You my PCB proposal for sd version of Hxc DE.
still loads to do..but looks promissing

Size reduced, some minor changes in design, power supply secion will be reduced, lcd display potis path changed for safety reasons...

[/img]
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: SD version - dual layer board 85mm * 96 mm

Post by Jeff »

wait a little and you get mine version with some improvements (2 logics chip removed, 2 drives emulator, etc)

lotharek

Re: SD version - dual layer board 85mm * 96 mm

Post by lotharek »

Hello

This looks much better indeed..

May I have improved schematic, plase ??

I have noticed that new version of Yours, still use DIL PIC version. How about smd ??

I would like to build one and share my experiences

other thing - lcd connector is 16 pins in 2 8pins rows.. I think that using one row 16 pin connector may reduce the size of thr board to sth like this :

what would be very handfull.

of course, i admire Your work, but i`d like to bring some my ideas to HXC project - if you do not mind...
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

alexfreed

Post by alexfreed »

The new version looks great and apparently already incorporates a few things I was going to suggest. I would add one more thing: a second 34 pin header possibly with the pins 2 and 34 crossed and whatever else is needed to connect a standard PC floppy drive to an Amiga. Looks like there is space on the PCB. It may not be populated if not needed but if it is a cheap drive could work as the second drive without the need to rework it for Amiga use. Just a thought. On the other hand a standard floppy ribbon cable with 2 connectors and minimum drive rework will work too...
-Alex.

alexfreed

Post by alexfreed »

Forgot one thing: a 10 MHz ceramic resonator is cheap, doesn't need the capacitors (they are built in), is smaller in size and works just as well as a crystal.
-Alex.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

alexfreed wrote:The new version looks great and apparently already incorporates a few things I was going to suggest. I would add one more thing: a second 34 pin header possibly with the pins 2 and 34 crossed and whatever else is needed to connect a standard PC floppy drive to an Amiga. Looks like there is space on the PCB. It may not be populated if not needed but if it is a cheap drive could work as the second drive without the need to rework it for Amiga use. Just a thought. On the other hand a standard floppy ribbon cable with 2 connectors and minimum drive rework will work too...
this is already done in the software since the beginning: there are in the hfe file the interface mode (amiga/pc...) flag.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

alexfreed wrote:Forgot one thing: a 10 MHz ceramic resonator is cheap, doesn't need the capacitors (they are built in), is smaller in size and works just as well as a crystal.

what about the pll ? actually the 10Mhz are *4 to have the 40Mhz clock. not sure that this will works with a resonator.

alexfreed

Post by alexfreed »

Jeff wrote:
what about the pll ? actually the 10Mhz are *4 to have the 40Mhz clock. not sure that this will works with a resonator.
Works just fine - I tested it. For all practical purposes the resonator is much the same as a crystal except the frequency stability is not quite as great but it is orders of magnitude better than a floppy motor and is definitely adequate here.
-Alex.

alexfreed

Post by alexfreed »

Jeff wrote:
this is already done in the software since the beginning: there are in the hfe file the interface mode (amiga/pc...) flag.
I saw that but I had something different in mind that is very Amiga-centric.
If there is a second connector one can create a combined emulator and a real PC floppy drive that will act as drives 0 and 1 (in selectable order). Then you can have a (real) external floppy without searching for the rare DB23 connector just using the ribbon cable.
-Alex.

fluxin

Post by fluxin »

Jeff, I'ld like to talk about a few of the changes you're making if possible. Shoot me an email if you can! Thanks!

petersieg

Post by petersieg »

@Jeff: Your new pcb of the coming sd card version looks great!
Can't wait until you release it for DIY manufacturing.. any idea, when
that will be.. ;-)

Thanks for your work!

Peter

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

petersieg wrote:@Jeff: Your new pcb of the coming sd card version looks great!
Can't wait until you release it for DIY manufacturing.. any idea, when
that will be.. ;-)

Thanks for your work!

Peter
As soon as possible.
i need to finish the layout (footprints to check), try to build a prototype, and finally adapt the firmware to this new board.

alexfreed

Post by alexfreed »

One idea: an (optional) "navigation button" that is connected the same way the buttons are connected but it's a single tiny "joystick" just like the one used on many cell phones these days. If only up, down and press are used, the program is identical to the standard one. However it is also possible to use the left and right say for directory navigation or whatever.

The switches like that are available for around $3.
-Alex.

deksar

Post by deksar »

Amazing work Jeff,

Congratulations!

I'm looking forward to buy the new SDCard version of HxC FD Emulator. Any chance? A prototype at least. I'd pay good for it! :wink:

sixty_cel

Post by sixty_cel »

[/img]