SD version - dual layer board 85mm * 96 mm

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
rwap

Post by rwap »

I think that 65 euros for the device is good value - although it would be better if there were a cased version!

I just do not understand why people think that others should develop hardware and software and merely give away all their designs and hard work for nothing.

This way of thinking seems to always end up dividing projects into two camps - yet what incentive is there for designers to keep working on new projects, if they will not see anything back for their work.

Appreciation of a project is all well and good, but it does not pay for the development costs - parts tried and thrown away, blown ROMs and the food to keep the developer going.

The Sinclair QL community ended up being divided some years ago when the author of a new operating system wanted to make the sources available, but insisted on only specific resellers being able to sell the compiled code, so that there were not 100 different variants. There were various people saying they would not use it because it was not open source and they wanted to code things in open source which would then become part of the distribution. Whereas others defended the original author's rights to demand control.

The outcome of it was that the open source guys never released anything - not even bolt on modules which they could quite easily have done (as the operating system is modular) - the development done since has all been incorporated into the main releases and the community goes on.

The upshot of it all, is that every designer, author and programmer has the right to dictate the terms of how their product should be used and that right should be respected. If you are not happy with having to pay for the design, then go ahead and design your own (if you think you can do it for less than 65 euros)!

sixty_cel

Post by sixty_cel »

To Jeff

I think you get more information about your product from many person.

But now if we have no useful and you can get your perfect project
you not want something from them you can said right now.

I think you may be give something to them.

Like you betray them.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

sixty_cel wrote:To Jeff

I think you get more information about your product from many person.

But now if we have no useful and you can get your perfect project
you not want something from them you can said right now.

I think you may be give something to them.

Like you betray them.

Please tell me who is "them" and "from many person" ....
What are you talking about ?

John79

Post by John79 »

Jeff,

you are absolutely right!

My personal opinion is that it is better to have the cards made from one person so that the production is "monitored" - meaning quality, price etc.

Why? Well, one reason is *I* ended up spending more than 85 EUR for the USB version of the card not long ago while the guy currently on eBay is selling them for much cheaper than that.

The project is far from dead!

I think you did the right move there not releasing the final SD design. If people want to make money out of your project let them design their own. Sorry, but that's the way it is...

65 EUR is not that much anyway except if someone wants to get the card (and the components it was made from) for free.

PS: I am NOT the eBay seller. Thank you!
Jeff wrote:
Seriously, but 65e is ok, the usb version was at 80euro and at least ~100 units have been sold at this price without problem, and i don’t think you could make the device at a much lower price.

After some bad experiences with the “full free” mode (project cloned, copyright removed/changed in sources, etc), i don't plan anymore to release pcb, binary and sources for free... I think i have made a big mistake in this project: released the sources/pcb of the prototype. I don’t want that someone else make money with my work without agreement.

The other point is that the project need a true production line, able to deliver a working device. I am a little tired to “debug” badly soldered boards through the forum. If we cannot deliver a true device (and not only a schematic and a binary), I consider the project like already dead since most of potential users are not able to make it (equipment/time/cost problems…).

And if the project is “so brilliant”, i don’t think it will die with this “new” business model ;-)

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

John79 wrote: Well, one reason is *I* ended up spending more than 85 EUR for the USB version of the card not long ago while the guy currently on eBay is selling them for much cheaper than that.
yes i saw this... this is not a good thing... and this is one reason of my choice...

blackpanther

Post by blackpanther »

I'll stick with my original SD version now.

Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

blackpanther wrote:I'll stick with my original SD version now.

Thanks
I will not support the prototype version.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Good news ! :

The preordering of the final version are now open ! :

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344

rwap

Post by rwap »

If I can get a version up and running suitable for the Sinclair QL - I would be interested in a bulk purchase to re-sell to QL users (say 50 units) - maybe to help buy parts / PCBs etc...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

rwap wrote:If I can get a version up and running suitable for the Sinclair QL - I would be interested in a bulk purchase to re-sell to QL users (say 50 units) - maybe to help buy parts / PCBs etc...

I will work on the Sinclair QL support soon (We are launching this board for the moment).

DrPluto

Post by DrPluto »

Jeff wrote:Good news ! :

The preordering of the final version are now open ! :

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?t=344
That is good news, congratulations!

~60€ is not a lot to pay, the cost of the components alone would be close to that I would imagine, not to mention the trouble of printing and drilling the PCB, loading the firmware etc...

Can I ask, will this be a one time only order, or do you plan for continious production of these boards? If I miss out of this current batch, will there be a second chance to get my hands on one?

Thanks and well done!

lolafg

Post by lolafg »

:D @ Jeff ,

I didn't miss the train this time and preordered the Sd Card floppy emulator and i'm really happy !!

Will you make the "write support" for amiga ?

I have an hdd in my A600 , will the sd floppy emulator act as a normal floppy drive and let boot the 600 on hdd ?

Thanks in advance for your answers !

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

lolafg wrote: Will you make the "write support" for amiga ?
i don't think so.
lolafg wrote: I have an hdd in my A600 , will the sd floppy emulator act as a normal floppy drive and let boot the 600 on hdd ?
yes

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

DrPluto wrote: Can I ask, will this be a one time only order, or do you plan for continious production of these boards? If I miss out of this current batch, will there be a second chance to get my hands on one?
yes i think. there are others batch later.

lolafg

Post by lolafg »

Jeff wrote:
lolafg wrote: Will you make the "write support" for amiga ?
i don't think so.

:? Hardware problem or software problem ?