Upgrade to wrong firmware, can't go back...

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
AmiAms

Upgrade to wrong firmware, can't go back...

Post by AmiAms »

Hi there

I think I have been really stupid!! :? Sorry!

First stupidity:
I bought a Gotek drive on ebay from a russian guy - with a label on it, saying: Download the manual and FW update at hxc2001.com
Wish I had bought the original from amigastore. Hindsight is always good.

Secund:
So, I went into the site, and searched for firmware. Because the Gotek drive has a USB stick, and not an SD card slot, I thought I should download the HXCFEUSB_HFE firmware (HXCFEUSB_HFE_V3_0_8_2a.upd). So I did, and updated the drive.

I start in the menu, I can select files into the slots, but from there I just have errors.
- My Amiga 500 (Can load part of a floppy, then it freezes)
- My Amiga 500 plus (Starts to load, then it resets)

NOTE: Have en NOS floppydrive, and from that both Amigas runs like a charm.

I realized that something was wrong, so I tried to download the currect firmware (I suppose it's the HXCFE_V1_8_2_40.upd). But trying to upload the firmware gives me an error 5 (Bad UPD File header! (bad file))

What to do? Normally I NOT that stupid, so please bear with me.
============================================
Amiga & Amstrad - what else...

AmiAms

Re: Upgrade to wrong firmware, can't go back...

Post by AmiAms »

Ok, maybe not that stupid anyway. :shock:

To begin with, I gave up, and started to see if I could build it into my Amstrad 6128 instead. Found out that I had to build a new cable, so I found an old floppy cable, and fixed that. Also needed to fix the voltage (Amstrad put out 12v on the 5v pin). At another site with Amstrad the jumper was set to MO, so I also did that. Plugged it into my Amstrad, wrote CAT, and got a disc content list "hxc.bin". YEEAAARRR :lol:

I tried with a few of my old disks from back then, which I have saved i dsk format, converted them to hfe, and it worked.

Now I really wanted to find out why it didn't worked in the Amiga.

I read everything once again, and found out that it might be the correct firmware anyway. So, what to do?

I moved the jumper to the position SD0, and tried again. Selected another floppy image this time, and it worked too.
Flipping back to the initial floppy, and it frezzed again. So THAT particular game always freeze. Maybe that was why I could not make it work to begin with.

Hope this can help others.

Thanks for a great product. Already ordered the original SD card version for my A1200. :)
============================================
Amiga & Amstrad - what else...