Correct way of powering off/ejecting card?

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
geosiou

Correct way of powering off/ejecting card?

Post by geosiou »

Hi Jeff,
Up to now, before I power off the SD HxC Floppy Emulator (it is used as an external drive with its own PSU and I have put a switch after the PSU to the 5v line), I eject the SD card just to make sure there won't be any file corruption with a possible electric spike during this.

In order to do this, I firstly deselect the .hfe file I was using, bringing the SD HxC Floppy Emulator to the "Choose a file state" (clearly affected by the closing of relevant programs and the "safely remove hardware" proccess in Windows before we pull a USB stick/SD card from the computer...).

However, in a recent post of yours, I read your comment "why do you want to eject the SD card?", which left me wondering... Although I really don't mind the extra steps of my own method of powering off (especially if it is safest), is it the best method, or is it worst? Is my method what you mean in your sd_hxc_floppy_emulator_firmware_release_notes, by: "Hot SDCard swapping (works but not very recommended)"?? So is my method not recommended and the safest is to just power off with the SD inserted??? But then again, should the .hfe file be left selected before powering off or deselected first?

And what about the powering on proccess?

(Needless to say that when powering on, I do that without SD card, and insert it afterwards...)

Thank you in advance!
George.

P.S. I'm using the latest stable 1.8.2.40 version firmware...

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Correct way of powering off/ejecting card?

Post by Jeff »

I just switch off the power supply : If you don't make any write to the sdcard, there is no issue to directly eject it or switch off the machine.

>Is my method what you mean in your sd_hxc_floppy_emulator_firmware_release_notes, by: "Hot SDCard swapping (works but not very recommended)"??
>So is my method not recommended and the safest is to just power off with the SD inserted???

Yes this what i wrote 10 years ago ;) But now i can say that there is no issue at all to eject the card without any special operation on the emulator.

>(Needless to say that when powering on, I do that without SD card, and insert it afterwards...)

You can leave the sdcard into the drive too without problem.

geosiou

Re: Correct way of powering off/ejecting card?

Post by geosiou »

Thank you very much Jeff! You made my life easier!!