Firmware question & Bug Found

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Wizard1969

Firmware question & Bug Found

Post by Wizard1969 »

Rev F. Lotharek drive I just received does not properly access the disk image for the B drive. This is on a TRS-80 Model 4. You can select the drive, by holding the middle button, select a new image. Both dip switch 0 and 1 are set to on with the HxC. The TRS-80 correctly shows the two drives have floppy disks in them. The problem is the disks are shown to have identical content. Whenever the B drive (Drive :1 on The TRS-80) is accessed the HxC shows the contents of Drive A (Drive 0 on the TRS-80). I noticed on the display for the HxC , it shows accessing only for Drive A at all times. It is as if the HxC is ignoring the changing of the drives.

It does work fine with a (cased) Rev C. drive.

Have I found an incompatibility bug in the firmware between these two? I have switched between the two drives with the same SD card and the Rev B drive works and the F does not work properly. Other than the two HxC drives, everything is identical including the SD card. I see the firmware on the Rev F is running at 1.8.2.40, which is the same version number as the the Rev B . I thought the Rev F was the slim and therefore different? Should that not be at 2.1.2.40?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Firmware question & Bug Found

Post by Jeff »

Rev C == Rev F regarding the hardware and the firmware so for sure there is something else. What about the switch settings ?

Rev F != Slim. This is a different hardware.

Wizard1969

Post by Wizard1969 »

Jeff wrote:Rev C == Rev F regarding the hardware and the firmware so for sure there is something else. What about the switch settings ?

Rev F != Slim. This is a different hardware.
Both the F and the C are set to Shugart two drives. On my F, I have 0 and 1 set to on. The TRS-80 correctly sees two drives with the F. The problem is when accessed they are just identical images being used despite selecting a different image for B. The very same SD card placed in the C revision box and hooked to the TRS-80 correctly sees a different image for drive B. As I said , it is like the the Rev F is ignoring the changing of drives and always serving up Drive A disk image as drive B . On the LED the Rev F never shows any access to Drive B , only drive A. While on the C box the LED will show drive B being used as well as drive A. Remember this is the same CF Card, same cable and same computer. One is powered from the wall (the C box) and the other is plugged into the TRS-80 Power supply, that is the only other difference I can think of.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Wizard1969 wrote:
Both the F and the C are set to Shugart two drives. On my F, I have 0 and 1 set to on.
This is the issue. You should have set the switches 1 (ID0-A) and 6 (ID1-B) to ON, and nothing else.

Wizard1969

Post by Wizard1969 »

Jeff wrote: This is the issue. You should have set the switches 1 (ID0-A) and 6 (ID1-B) to ON, and nothing else.
That was it, thanks for your help!