Documentation / Questions on Track Analyzer

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
cube1us

Documentation / Questions on Track Analyzer

Post by cube1us »

I have some questions related to some efforts to get the HxC SD Card emulator working with an Altos 8000-2, with an FD1791 floppy controller. Format is single density, FM - standard IBM 3740 format.

I originally created my .HFE image with a bit rate of 250,000. After some tinkering, I realized that must be wrong, based on the fact that when I look at it with the track analyzer, the total track time is 323ms. So, I changed it to 500,000, reloaded the raw image, and it works OK. (I had previously tried just changing the bit rate on the front panel of the HxC SD Card emulator - that did NOT seem to work).

1) When loading a Raw Image into the HxC emulator software, what is the difference between Track Type FM and IBM FM?

2) In the Track Analyzer are the timings those that would be presented to the floppy controller, including the post index area, the id field and the gap, or are some of those omitted?

3) In the track analyzer, what exactly is a "cell"? Is it a pulse cell (i.e., in FM there are two of these per actual data bit) or a bit cell?

4) In the .HFE file, is any compression used? Are the post index area, the id field and the gap all present, or are they removed (and then automatically re-inserted by the firmware in the SDCard emulator)?

Also, a suggestion. It would be nice if when importing a raw file, and an RPM is specified, that the software would provide a warning when the length of the track generated is such that it is incorrect for the specified RPM (even if the specified RPM is not used by the SD Card emulator)>

Another suggestion: It would be nice if the scrolling message in the main HxCFloppy emulator software (that shows the file name, # tracks, # sides) also displayed the bit rate.

Yet another suggestion: It would be nice if it were possible to change the bitrate on an .HFE file in the HxCFloppy Emulator software, rather than needing to reload the image.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Documentation / Questions on Track Analyzer

Post by Jeff »

cube1us wrote:
1) When loading a Raw Image into the HxC emulator software, what is the difference between Track Type FM and IBM FM?
The presence or not of the index mark.
cube1us wrote: 2) In the Track Analyzer are the timings those that would be presented to the floppy controller, including the post index area, the id field and the gap, or are some of those omitted?
You can see exactly what is send to the FDC.
cube1us wrote: 3) In the track analyzer, what exactly is a "cell"? Is it a pulse cell (i.e., in FM there are two of these per actual data bit) or a bit cell?
a cell = ( 1 / bitrate ) / 2. 2 cells or more is needed to code a bit.
cube1us wrote: 4) In the .HFE file, is any compression used? Are the post index area, the id field and the gap all present, or are they removed (and then automatically re-inserted by the firmware in the SDCard emulator)?
No compression at all.
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... format.pdf
cube1us wrote: Yet another suggestion: It would be nice if it were possible to change the bitrate on an .HFE file in the HxCFloppy Emulator software, rather than needing to reload the image.
You can already do this with the editors tools with the last version.