Track to track times and settle times for HxC SDCard

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
cube1us

Track to track times and settle times for HxC SDCard

Post by cube1us »

I have been working with the HxC Emulator attached to the "mini" connector an a Cromemco 4FDC controller (BTW, this works even if one uses a 77 track 26 sector image!). Under CDOS it seems to work just fine. I am now in the process of writing and testing a CP/M BIOS, and have run into some puzzling results, where I get read errors on sectors that RDOS can subsequently read just fine.

One possibility is that I may be stepping too fast - I am using a faster stepping rate than CDOS would use for 5" drives. So, can someone tell me what the track to track step times and head settle times ought to be for the HxC SDCard Floppy emulator? (Am currently on V1.8.2.40).

(Note: I also had to add pull-up resistors [1K as of now] on the WData and WGate lines. Without that, writes (understandably) generated bad sectors if there wasn't a real drive in the chain providing the pull-ups. I have not yet added pull ups to the track step lines, etc. - the display is showing me on the correct tracks).

Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Track to track times and settle times for HxC SDCard

Post by Jeff »

~5ms of settle times for the HxC, but should also let the FDC PLL to stabilize ;)
cube1us wrote: (Note: I also had to add pull-up resistors [1K as of now] on the WData and WGate lines. Without that, writes (understandably) generated bad sectors if there wasn't a real drive in the chain providing the pull-ups. I have not yet added pull ups to the track step lines, etc. - the display is showing me on the correct tracks).

Thanks.
Not a surprise if you have no or not enough pull up resistors on the bus. I suppose that the original drive use 150Ohms pullup ?

cube1us

Post by cube1us »

Jeff wrote: Not a surprise if you have no or not enough pull up resistors on the bus. I suppose that the original drive use 150Ohms pullup ?
The Wangco drives that originally came with the system have 330 ohm pull-up termination resistor packs. (This allows things to work / no damage even if both drives are terminated).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok!