Please confirm my understanding of RAW mode

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
cube1us

Please confirm my understanding of RAW mode

Post by cube1us »

Am I correct in guessing that a "raw image" file is simply the data portion of the sectors, all strung together, in logical order? Or is there more to it than that?

I ask because I have a large number of disks that I imaged in that fashion. For example I have images of a bunch of IBM 8 inch SS/SD CP/M disks and the like that way - no sector track information, just the sectors. (So, for example, such a file for an IBM 8 inch SS/SD diskette would be 77 (tracks) * 26 (sectors) * 128 bytes == 256256 bytes.) (DEC RX01 would be the same.)

I found I was able to define the disk format for this in the HxC emulator software (being quite surprised it was not already there), and then load such an image, but before I spend a lot of time trying to make such an image work on my Altair, I figured I would check first. ;)

Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Please confirm my understanding of RAW mode

Post by Jeff »

cube1us wrote:Am I correct in guessing that a "raw image" file is simply the data portion of the sectors, all strung together, in logical order? Or is there more to it than that?

I ask because I have a large number of disks that I imaged in that fashion. For example I have images of a bunch of IBM 8 inch SS/SD CP/M disks and the like that way - no sector track information, just the sectors. (So, for example, such a file for an IBM 8 inch SS/SD diskette would be 77 (tracks) * 26 (sectors) * 128 bytes == 256256 bytes.) (DEC RX01 would be the same.)

I found I was able to define the disk format for this in the HxC emulator software (being quite surprised it was not already there), and then load such an image, but before I spend a lot of time trying to make such an image work on my Altair, I figured I would check first. ;)

Thanks.
yes that's it : "raw" is such the sectors data. And the HxC software can handle them with various methods and paths ;).
You can, for example, create an XML file to define your format. Or just use the GUI for simple format. Or use the predefined formats.