Documentation Questions on HFE file settings

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
cube1us

Documentation Questions on HFE file settings

Post by cube1us »

After some of my testing, I have some questions:

a) What is the configuration file setting "indexed mode" supposed to do? What is its purpose? It is not shown in the documentation.

b) What is the configuration file setting "disable disk drive selection" supposed to do? What is its purpose? It is not shown in the documentation.

c) There are many "File Interface Modes". What does each one cause to happen in the emulator hardware / firmware? In particular, what are the differences between the IBM_PC_* modes and the GENERIC_SHUGART_DD_FLOPPYMODE mode?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Documentation Questions on HFE file settings

Post by Jeff »

cube1us wrote:After some of my testing, I have some questions:

a) What is the configuration file setting "indexed mode" supposed to do? What is its purpose? It is not shown in the documentation.
For Headless / without display usage :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... al_ENG.pdf
Page 9.
cube1us wrote: b) What is the configuration file setting "disable disk drive selection" supposed to do? What is its purpose? It is not shown in the documentation.
Obsolete option, but still there for the users with the old firmware.

cube1us wrote: c) There are many "File Interface Modes". What does each one cause to happen in the emulator hardware / firmware? In particular, what are the differences between the IBM_PC_* modes and the GENERIC_SHUGART_DD_FLOPPYMODE mode?
This mainly change the behavior of the pin 2 & 34.
More details there:
http://pinouts.ru/Storage/InternalDisk_pinout.shtml

cube1us

Re: Documentation Questions on HFE file settings

Post by cube1us »

Thanks. It had not occurred to me to look at the Slim model documentation.

Is there some documentation of what the Shugart mode does with Pins 2 and 34? Looking at the SA 400 manual, I would guess that they might be both unused in that mode. It would be nice to know for sure how it is set up.

Thanks.