SD emulator Rev B and firmware >=1.8.x

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Rygar

SD emulator Rev B and firmware >=1.8.x

Post by Rygar »

When firmware v1.8.2.24 came out, there was the following warnings:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Important !! : This version is not compatible with the old Revision B boards (2010 version)
-- The add-on SRAM chip is now needed for all write support ! (for more details please see the release 22/08/2010 below)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've already ordered some 23K256 SRAMs to do the write support fix and my question is, after i do the fix, can i install firmwares later than 1.7 or will i brick my SD emulator?

/Nick

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: SD emulator Rev B and firmware >=1.8.x

Post by Jeff »

No no risk at to brick at all your emulator.
You can even revert the firmware to the 1.7.2.0 if needed.

Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Thanks Jeff. BTW, this is a magnificent combination of hardware/firmware.

Rygar

Post by Rygar »

So i downloaded the latest firmware v1.8.x, put it in a newly formatted FAT32 card, and switched on holding the Left-Right buttons. I immediately get a 5-time red flashing, which means that the UPD file is "Bad UPD File header! (bad file)", based on the instructions TXT file. I must say that my revB board is one of the first ones with firmware rev1.1.0.1 :D. Yes i know, it's quite old. I had used it back then, but i needed again now. Anyway, i downloaded the v1.7.2.7, but the results are the same. I have already performed the Write support with the SRAM, but i don't know if it works. I don't get an SRAM OK message, but maybe it's because my firmware is very old and does not know about the existance of the SRAM. Other than that, the board boots ok and i can browse the files in all my SD cards. The card i used for the update is a 512MB from Sandisk.

Any ideas? Is it possible that i need a mid-version firmware, for example 1.2 or 1.3, before updating to the latest? If yes, then i don't have them, i can't find them anywhere.

/Nick

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

With such very old board you need to update the boot loader too. Please find the update file in your email box.

Rygar

Post by Rygar »

It worked! I first installed the 1.7.x just to be sure :D and now I'm on the latest firmware, but i don't get a SRAM OK message. Maybe i did not do a nice job on soldering. I just want to ask if the SRAM OK shows for enough time so we can see it.

Thanks for the EXPRESS answer!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Rygar wrote:It worked! I first installed the 1.7.x just to be sure :D and now I'm on the latest firmware, but i don't get a SRAM OK message. Maybe i did not do a nice job on soldering. I just want to ask if the SRAM OK shows for enough time so we can see it.

Thanks for the EXPRESS answer!
The actual versions doesn't print "SRAM OK" anymore but an error message is printed if the SRAM test failed.
So this should be ok ;).

Rygar

Post by Rygar »

Super! Thanks a lot.

EDIT: For testing, I unsoldered the edge from one of the resistors, i switched on and immediately got the message "SRAM test fail". So i'm good. Thanks!