Quick Review

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
MrSporty

Quick Review

Post by MrSporty »

Hi there

I finally got round to building the HxC floppy emulator and i thought i'd share some of my observations.

The Parts.

Prety easy to find, as stated they can be sourced from Farnell or whatever local supplier you use. The EPM7128 is being phased out with it being an older style 5V part but is still available at a cost. I had a spare one left over from a previous N64 cart emulator project so i was lucky.

There is no clear indication as to what type of ferrite to use on the usb power supply. I chanced it for now and just bridged it out .. hope the nasty EMI doesn't catch me out :)

The PCB.

A great layout that i think most hobbyists can easily handle. The SSOP FTDI chip will probably make some people think twice but with a bit of patience and the right tools it isn't too hard.

The only minor thing is that one of the JTAG pins isnt brought out to a test pad. Like i said its very minor and would be of no conciquence if your programming the CPLD in a seperate programmer.

Building it.

Other than the afforementioned USB SMD it shouldn't be a problem. My board didn't work initially because i had managed to short some of the SRAM pins to the tracks that were running between them, a concequence of using homebrew boards without soldermask :(

Top , Nice view :)

Bottom , Not so nice view :P

The Software.

Ok it looks a little bit clunky but what more do you need ? Ive only been able to test it with the 2 Amigas i have available but it seems to work fine.

I did have a slight problem with certain .DMS files crashing the software thought, maybe Jeff would like to take a look at them to see if its a fixable bug ?

Conclusion ?

A very , very nice piece of kit. Thanks for sharing this with us :)

MrSporty

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Quick Review

Post by Jeff »

Great job! Your board looks better that mine ;-).

>There is no clear indication as to what type of ferrite to use on the usb power supply. I chanced it for now and just bridged it out .. hope the nasty EMI doesn't catch me out
FTDI use this ferrite in theirs examples:
http://www.steward.com/web_info/CADPrin ... R-10-A.pdf
http://www.ftdichip.com/Documents/DataS ... FT245R.pdf (page 19)

but this should work without this ;-).

>The only minor thing is that one of the JTAG pins isnt brought out to a test pad. Like i said its very minor and would be of no conciquence if your programming the CPLD in a seperate programmer.
Personally i solder a wire on the TDO pin under board to program the chip. I had a space problem on the pcb to add this test point.

>Ok it looks a little bit clunky but what more do you need ? Ive only been able to test it with the 2 Amigas i have available but it seems to work fine.
There is an interesting feature which is not documented: you can associate images files types to the application under windows. By this way you can load an image by simply double clicking it!
>I did have a slight problem with certain .DMS files crashing the software thought, maybe Jeff would like to take a look at them to see if its a fixable bug ?
I have just corrected an bug in the dms loader:
https://hxc2001.com/floppy_drive_emulat ... r_soft.zip
(There is a new feature in this version : emulate an amiga floppy from a pc directory)

If you have another loading problem, you can send me the image file at this address:

Have Fun ;-)

a+
Jeff

MrSporty

Post by MrSporty »

Can i just applaud Jeff for his fantastic open source interface but also for fixing the bug i mentioned in record quick time !

The interface now loads the problem .DMS files i had with no problem at all .. and he even went above and beyond the call of duty and added in .ADZ support too !

Anyone wondering wether its worth the effort to build one of these interfaces .. stop wondering and start building !

MrS