Dumping on a Mac

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
IBMPortablePC

Dumping on a Mac

Post by IBMPortablePC »

Jeff,

We've exchanged a few emails reference imaging a 77 track, 1024 sector, 96TPI CP/M 2.2 disk for an STD Buss Pulsar Little Big Board, using "raw" images from a Kryoflux.

I'd like to continue here for the benefit of all if that's okay with you.

You suggested dumping the disks with the HxC2001 software and whilst I have a Mac I gather I won't be able to as I cannot connect te drive to my Mac without the Kryoflux.

I do have a 386DX based PCDOS machine I use with tools like Dave Dunfields imagedisk, can IMD images be converted to HFE or is there a DOS version of your software?

Clem

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Dumping on a Mac

Post by Jeff »

IBMPortablePC wrote:Jeff,

You suggested dumping the disks with the HxC2001 software and whilst I have a Mac I gather I won't be able to as I cannot connect te drive to my Mac without the Kryoflux.

I do have a 386DX based PCDOS machine I use with tools like Dave Dunfields imagedisk, can IMD images be converted to HFE or is there a DOS version of your software?
Some points :

-> The HxC Floppy Emulator software is now able to import and analyze KryoFlux raw Stream.
-> The HxC Floppy Emulator software is able to import and export IMD file format.
-> The HxC Floppy Emulator software is able to import RAW sector file format with the "load raw" function.

So many ways are possible ;)

IBMPortablePC

Post by IBMPortablePC »

Jeff wrote: -> The HxC Floppy Emulator software is now able to import and analyze KryoFlux raw Stream.
Are Streams the only, or the best, way to image with Kryoflux for use with the HxC?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

IBMPortablePC wrote:
Jeff wrote: -> The HxC Floppy Emulator software is now able to import and analyze KryoFlux raw Stream.
Are Streams the only, or the best, way to image with Kryoflux for use with the HxC?
This is the best if you want to get the copy protections.

You can also get a raw sector file with the kryoflux. The problem is that this file doesn't tell you which disk layout you have (number of sector/ sector size...)

IBMPortablePC

Post by IBMPortablePC »

Jeff wrote:
IBMPortablePC wrote:
This is the best if you want to get the copy protections.

You can also get a raw sector file with the kryoflux.
I don't have copy protected disks, however Kryoflux has 3 options for sector images:
2 : CT Raw image, 84 tracks, DS, DD, 300, MFM
3 : FM sector image, 40/80+ tracks, SS/DS, SD/DD, 300, FM
4 : MFM sector image, 40/80+ tracks, SS/DS, DD/HD, 300, MFM

"2" is used by <dtc filename.ext switches -i0 -i2>, however apparently -i2 will be removed as an option in the near future whilst the -i0 -i2 combination produces a "stream" anyway.

So I guess it's option 3 or 4 depending on whether disks are FM or MFM.

Although, if your program can convert streams then for purposes of preservation, I may as well simply create streams anyway?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes use the stream to identify correctly the disk layout :

click on batch converter -> Target File format : AFI-> Choose a target directory (leave the source directory empty.)
Then drag&drop on this window one stream raw file (xxx.00.0.raw)
The analysis can take some minutes. You can see the progress in the log window

Once you got the AFI, you can convert it into HFE.
And you can have a look to the tracks with the track viewer.

(use the lastest software version.)