Airbrushing the emulator

General discussion forum - for all that doesn't fit in any other category.
Katsunami

Airbrushing the emulator

Post by Katsunami »

Hi :) I've ordered an emulator through eBay, and I'm now waiting to receive it. It's a marvellous piece of work (especially since it's available in a 3,5 inch casing now!), and I hope it works in my Hammond XH-200 organ.

There is one thing that is not going to work, however... and that's the front plate stickers. Sorry. I just don't dig them. They make the emulator look "simple" (like a toy) because of the big letters and the slanted logo. I have an enormous aversion against stickers too. They're the first thing to go on ANY equipment I own if at all possible. I actually like the bare metal look better than the stickers, even in a black case, like Jeff showed in one of the pre-ordered topics.

I would have preferred a completely black front with just a small "HxC" in the top right or left. Maybe it's an option to include two simple stickers along with the elaborate ones.

My question is:
I've seen on the pictures that the PCB board is held down with some (Philips / cross head?) screws. I assume it's screwed onto some studs, just like a mainboard in a computer. Maybe there are two screws to hold the LCD-display in place. Is this correct, and can I just take the board and LCD out of the casing, then airbrush the casing matte black, and put everything back (after drying of course), or is there anything else I need to take into account?

Or, would it be better to just airbrush one of the stickers completely black and put that on? (I'd prefer to airbrush the casing if the emulator can be taken out and put back easily.)

min.struct

Re: Airbrushing the emulator

Post by min.struct »

Katsunami

Re: Airbrushing the emulator

Post by Katsunami »

Looks good.

I've received the emulator today. It has four screws for the PCB, and two bolts for the LCD. I'll see if I have a screwdriver to undo those bolts; then I expect to be able to take the PCB and screen out.

The emulator is built into the XH-200 organ now, and powered up. Just at the computer to format the SD-card and put some files on. Fingers crossed....