Interfacing w/ a Tandy Coco

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
telengard

Interfacing w/ a Tandy Coco

Post by telengard »

I have a bunch of Coco's (1, 2, and 3) and I have a FD-501 disk controller which seems to take standard a floppy edge connector to 34 (no twist from what I can tell). What I'm wondering is, how do I power the HxC?
Also, are there any special considerations necessary for the Coco?

~telengard

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Interfacing w/ a Tandy Coco

Post by Jeff »

telengard wrote:I have a bunch of Coco's (1, 2, and 3) and I have a FD-501 disk controller which seems to take standard a floppy edge connector to 34 (no twist from what I can tell). What I'm wondering is, how do I power the HxC?

~telengard
There are no floppy power connector in the coco ?

telengard

Post by telengard »

Jeff wrote:
telengard wrote:I have a bunch of Coco's (1, 2, and 3) and I have a FD-501 disk controller which seems to take standard a floppy edge connector to 34 (no twist from what I can tell). What I'm wondering is, how do I power the HxC?

~telengard
Hi Jeff,

The way the Coco floppy access works is you have a cartridge that is the disk controller and this connects to the floppy drive. The floppy drive has a power supply in it which plugs into an A/C unit. So the only connection is the floppy cable itself. I guess I could power the HxC off some other port (maybe the bitbanger port).

~telengard

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

telengard wrote:
Jeff wrote:

~telengard
Hi Jeff,

The way the Coco floppy access works is you have a cartridge that is the disk controller and this connects to the floppy drive. The floppy drive has a power supply in it which plugs into an A/C unit. So the only connection is the floppy cable itself. I guess I could power the HxC off some other port (maybe the bitbanger port).

~telengard
ok.
Just find a 5V power supplu source somewhere if possible from the Coco, or from an external PSU.

telengard

Post by telengard »

Any specific current/power requirements? And it sounds like no 12v is necessary. :)

~telengard

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

telengard wrote:Any specific current/power requirements? And it sounds like no 12v is necessary. :)

~telengard
No 12V needed. Only 5V ~0.5A

telengard

Post by telengard »

Jeff wrote:
telengard wrote:Any specific current/power requirements? And it sounds like no 12v is necessary. :)

~telengard
Ok, will do. Should I verify the pinouts are compatible too on the 34 pin connector before trying this? I noticed that the person testing the Tandy 1000 ran into issues.

Maybe a better question is, has anyone tried using an HxC with their Coco? :)

~telengard

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

telengard wrote:
Jeff wrote:

~telengard
Ok, will do. Should I verify the pinouts are compatible too on the 34 pin connector before trying this? I noticed that the person testing the Tandy 1000 ran into issues.

Maybe a better question is, has anyone tried using an HxC with their Coco? :)

~telengard
Yes some people have already tried the hxc on the coco.

telengard

Post by telengard »

Yes, worked very well once I got a power supply hooked up to it. I had posted in the other coco thread about support for dsk images (which seem to be .jvc).

~telengard