here is a quick report about what I tested this WE :
- Oric Microdisc (please note I don't still have a long enough screw driver to open it, so I yet can't change anything internally !)
- HxC SD Rev C device
- 34 pins x 3 disc cable. The cable is connected to the "male" 34 pins socket at the back of the Microdisc drive.
- Oric Dov v1.1 (this is the only disc I get with the Microdisc drive. Fortunately, it boots up correctly but have some bad sectors...).
- HxC v188.8.131.52 firmware
- HxC FLoppy Emulator software v184.108.40.206a (downloaded from this thread !).
- A collection or Oric software in .DSK file format
- Not good at all
1) Whatever the connections and the HxC switched positions, Oric can't see my HxC. It seems that connecting everything together is not enough, a special DOS command must be called before having HxC available (see 2).
2) After boot, if I use the Oric Dos "!SYS" command my HxC is reconized as drive 1.
I tried different positions of the 34 pins cable (twisted/untwisted) and the Hxc switches until I get this !
3) Using HxCFloppyEmulator, I created a 40 track/1 side floppy image that I was enable to read/write from Oric (after using "!SYS" command).
4) I was able to read some programs for an Oric DOS v1.13 DSK image file (after using "!SYS command").
5) My purpose was to create "fresh" boot (Oric DOS or Sedoric) disks by copying disc image loaded HxC onto actual 3" disc (since I used to boot on the actual Microdisc drive as drive 0). It was the beginning of my nighmares :
- It seems that Microdisc drive supports by default 3" 40 tracks 1 sided disc (you have to flip manually the disc). Can you confirm ?
- Using the !SYS command I turned my Microdisc into 80 tracks 2 sides disc drive and was able to format such 3" but I think this is fake and even if it says "success", it doubt it really worked since I never was about to copy the Sedoric .DSK onto my actual 3" disc using the "!BACKUP 1 TO 0" command. It seems there is an harware limitation. What do you think ?
- All the .DSK images I get have "exotical" format (30, 42 or 81 tracks, 1 or 2 sides) and since the "!SYS" command only allows me to set up 40/80 tracks, 1 or 2 sides, I was unable to even perform a "!DIR" of 80% of the .DSK i have
- Since most of the .DSK are not 40 track/1 side images, I never be able to copy one of these images of an actual 3"
- Most of the disc image I have showed "SYSTEM.DOS" when performing "!DIR". I guess these sotware only works when placed in drive 0 (boot drive), so I never be able to run those software.
- I was able to perform "!DIR" on "TYRANN" disc and even "!LOAD" from some files on the disc. It loads the BASIC programm OK but when I perform a RUN I get a black "SEDORIC" screen. I guess this is because I didn't boot up on the "TYRANN" disc in drive 0.
So guys, here are very bad results. Any suggestion or feed back about this will be welcome.