Acorn A3000

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Acorn A3000

Post by Jeff »

r0jaws wrote:Hi all. I have also been trying without success to get an image recognised on my Archimedes 3020. I use my HXC without any problems on my Amiga's, and Amstrad 6128 and was hopeful of using it with my Archie.
I have updated my Bootloader and Firmware to the most up to date versions, and have also used the most up to date software for converting the ADFs which advertises support for the Acorn format. The Jumper settings are on ID0, Drive A.
The Archie boots normally with the HXC connected and reacts as if it is a normal drive, however, after I load a converted ADF onto the HXC and then try and access it, I get a Drive empty error.
Are there still issues with converting the Acorn Archimedes ADF's? Or am I missing a step somewhere along the line?

Send me the image i will have a look.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws »

Thank you kindly, it is just a copy of the game Repton 3, do you want the original and converted file?
I also created an empty floppy using the same settings MickH quoted earlier and had exactly the same error, I can send that too.

I have sent an email with the original ADF, the converted ADF that does not seem to be recognised, and the empty disc I created using the information MickH posted earlier.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

r0jaws wrote:Thank you kindly, it is just a copy of the game Repton 3, do you want the original and converted file?
I also created an empty floppy using the same settings MickH quoted earlier and had exactly the same error, I can send that too.

I have sent an email with the original ADF, the converted ADF that does not seem to be recognised, and the empty disc I created using the information MickH posted earlier.

No problem with the images.

Have tried others jumper setting ?
Have you another floppy cable ?

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws »

I have tried numerous jumper settings, but I will try another cable.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

r0jaws wrote:I have tried numerous jumper settings, but I will try another cable.
Another point : Is the floppy emulator reacting when the Acorn try to access it ?

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws »

Yes, as far as I can tell the Archimedes can see and react to the HXC as if it is an empty floppy disc. It flashes it's LEDs and makes it's sounds via the speaker just like it does on my miggy.
The difference is that when I double click the floppy icon on the Archie, the HXC makes a single click then the Archie automatically displays it's empty drive message.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws »

I have just replaced the floppy cable, and success! I can access the created ADFs as if they are normal discs no problem.
Thank you for your assistance Jeff. :mrgreen:

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

r0jaws wrote:I have just replaced the floppy cable, and success! I can access the created ADFs as if they are normal discs no problem.
Thank you for your assistance Jeff. :mrgreen:
A classical issue : the bad floppy cable ;)

Samy83

Post by Samy83 »

Hello,

I have approximately the same problems that r0jaws had a few years ago with my "new" Acorn A3020, the "Drive Empty" error with all .hfe images I tried (all converted from .adf with HxCFloppyEmulator software v2.1.4.0)

Here is my config:
- Acorn A3020 with 4Mb RAM and 64Mb Compact flash drive
- Cased SD HxC Floppy Emulator Rev C with latest firmware
- Jumper set to ID 0-Drive A (but I tried all jumper settings)

The "symptoms":
The HxC react as a normal drive except I always have the "Drive Empty" error message when I try to access to the chosen .hfe image.

What I already tried to solve the problem :
- test various jumper settings
- change default HXCFE.CFG settings to 1.44Mb double side IBM PC format
- flip the floppy cable > access LED always on > the first position was the good one
- change the floppy cable

I come back on this last point because it seems to be a classical issue but I don't understand what do you mean when you say "the bad floppy cable" ?
Is there a modification need because I tried with the stock floppy drive cable and with another one that I built myself and the problem is still there...

Did I miss something ? If someone can help me, it would be nice.

Sam

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Samy83 wrote: - change default HXCFE.CFG settings to 1.44Mb double side IBM PC format
No this is not the right interface mode for this machine. keep the default setting.

Samy83

Post by Samy83 »

Yes, but even with the default setting, it doesn't work.
Always this "Drive empty" error but I don't understand why ?

I've ordered a third 34 pins PC floppy cable to test again...

Samy83

Post by Samy83 »

Hello,

New try with a PC floppy cable (twisted this time) and the problem is still there :evil:
I also tried to build a new one, similar to the stock Acorn cable : same result.

I think that the problem should not come from the cable.

I also notice that when the computer try to access to the HxC, I have "RA" who displays on the second line of the LCD screen during 1 second.
I don't know what this means?

If someone could send me a tested and working Acorn Archimedes .hfe file (anything: game, software...) to be sure it's not a problem with the images I use.

Thanks.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

please tell what was the old disk drive model and brand.

Samy83

Post by Samy83 »

It was a TÜV CITIZEN OSDA-71C
Brand.jpg
Brand.jpg (31.44 KiB) Viewed 8611 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I found nothing about this drive. Is there any jumper on the drive ?