Has anyone ever installed a floppy emulator(Gotek or HXC)in a commodore floppy drive?

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
Verault

Has anyone ever installed a floppy emulator(Gotek or HXC)in a commodore floppy drive?

Post by Verault »

So I know there are lots of sd2iec and such alternatives to a commodore 1541 drive. But has anyone ever tried to replace the actual floppy drive mechanism with a gotek or HXC unit while keeping the rest of the unit intact? Is it possible? Since I have had a lot of fun and success getting my gotek to work in my kaypro 4/84, I figured I would try another project. Since my Commodore PET 2001-8 is pretty much 100% operational now It would be nice to have something other than the datasette to get data onto the PET. I do have an SFD-1001 drive that seems to work. IT seeks and tries to read disks, but I have never gotten it to read a single disk. Many say it only reads and writes to quad density disks which I don't have, so who knows. I was wondering if it would be possible to remove the floppy drive portion and replace it with a an hxc or gotek.

I'm serious about this since its my only IEEE-488 drive and IT would be really nice to have it for my PET; that and the fact that I cannot find anyone who is currently selling a PET DISK or anything like that. IF it is possible even on a 1541 that would be a fun project too as I have a couple spares.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Has anyone ever installed a floppy emulator(Gotek or HXC)in a commodore floppy drive?

Post by Jeff »

This is possible, with lot of hacks ;)

thecaver99

Re: Has anyone ever installed a floppy emulator(Gotek or HXC)in a commodore floppy drive?

Post by thecaver99 »

I would imagine thou it would work well in a 1581 drive as its the same drive internally as the amiga and wouldnt take any mods but not sure about images.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

thecaver99 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:09 am
I would imagine thou it would work well in a 1581 drive as its the same drive internally as the amiga and wouldnt take any mods but not sure about images.
Yes 1581 support is not a problem, this was already tested. and btw the HxC Gotek firmware directly support the .D81 images.