Atari 8bit computers, XF-551 disk drive.

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
pixelated

Atari 8bit computers, XF-551 disk drive.

Post by pixelated »

I was working on an 800XL for someone and while I was doing this, I got my HxC working on my XF-551 drive. Attached are the config and a SSSD image file with DOS, for anyone interested in it.

It will also work in the Trak AT-D2 disk drive, but for some reason the drive thinks the write protect is enabled. I did not look into this too deep, but the Trak would read the disk already written.

Also, the Windows utility app, I tried making a image from an ATR (atari 8bit disk image), and the Atari would not read it properly (yes, I removed the 16 byte atr header to make it a plain disk image).

I tested in MyDOS, SpartaDOS 3.2, SDX, and realDOS, and all would format, write and boot (MyDOS and realDOS), from the HxC in the XF-551.

pixelated.
Attachments
AtariXF551HxC2001.rar
Config and .hfe image for SSSD disk, with MyDOS 4.53
(50.11 KiB) Downloaded 409 times

Bikerbob

Re: Atari 8bit computers, XF-551 disk drive.

Post by Bikerbob »

OK so if I got a Gotek SFR1M44-U100K and flashed the HxC firmware. would I want to set it up the way you did? or as a std PC drive if I was going to attach it to a Trak At-D2 slave port?
;)

James

pixelated

Post by pixelated »

I do not know how the Gotek would work, as I do not know the functional differences between the Gotek hardware capabilities and the HxC Rev F.

But what I do know is, when I tested it on a Trak AT-D2 (your Trak drive specifically...) I did have it connected to the rear ext floppy port, which is just a cable with three connectors (female 36pin IDC 2x18 header which connects to the controller board, 36 pin female edge card connector which connects to the floppy drive mech, and male 36pin IDC 2x18 header which mounts in the back for slave drives).

A more pressing matter is the write protect, with the HxC connected to the Trak, the drive thought the write protect tab was enabled. I could not write to the 'disk' on the HxC, but a disk already written (from the XF-5551) would read fine.

In all honesty, if you wanted to go the HxC route on the Atari, I would suggest using the XF-551, and put the 3.5" firmware on it with a switch, then you can emulate all the drives and density and sides that the XF-551 can support...

pixelated.

namachari

Post by namachari »

Hi pixelated,
Thank you for posting your disk image. With some time and effort, and a lot of trial and error, I used your image to create a set of single density game images for my Atari system.

My setup for copying is a 130xe with Xf-551 (dead mechanism replaced withs a HxC flashed Gotek). I have an SDrive (which I use with my 800xl) which I set as drive 1, and the Gotek as drive 2. My first issue was that I could not format/initialise your image. It would always fail or end with an error depending on the software I use. So I just ignored the formatting side if things. I used a copy program running on the 130XE to copy from the SDrive to your disk image in the Gotek, and erase over the original content. I was able to do this many times with much success to create 30+ image files on the Gotek. Next I wanted to copy some Double Density images in the same way. I have not had any luck as you image is Single Density.

Can I ask you some questions:
How did you originally generate your .hfe image?
What are the specs of your disk image. I assume it's single density and single sided?
Do you have any Formatting issues?
If you created the image using HxC software, can you share your specs? My problem is I can create a blank image with what I believe is the correct settings, but being unable to format it I can't advance any further.

Thanks for your time and help.
Philip

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Hello,

Can you share the atr files ?

namachari

Post by namachari »

Hi Jeff, thanks for the message.

As I mentioned above HxC tools converts any .atr file (single sided or double sided) to just single sided.
Also any .atr file I try to convert using HxC tools (single or double density) results in a hfe file that won't load.

My work around so far is to take pixelated's SSSD hfe file (linked above) that does actually load, and using a second real floppy drive, copy the files from the real floppy over to pixelated's image (erasing the original content of course). I have been able to make a number of working SSSD hfe files this way.

Now the files I'm trying to get to work, or convert to hfe are these:

http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/?fbclid=I ... CkVpUbKz5o

They are (as far as I know) double sided double density (DSDD) images.

So to summerise, converting atr files using HxC tools does not produce a working hfe image for me, and regardless of how many sides (or density) the atr file has, HxC tools produces only single sided images.

Hope this makes sense.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

These are SSDD images, but anyway the loader is broken.
Made a fix but i still unsure about a lot of parameters...
Can you tell me if you can read this one ? : https://hxc2001.com/vrac/GAMES005_ATR.hfe

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

btw if you know where i can find scp / kryoflux Atari 8bit stream this may help me to fix this.

namachari

Post by namachari »

Hi again,
No, I couldn't get that hfe file to work either.

I may be able to get you a scp file. I'll see what I can do.

Philip

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

namachari

Post by namachari »

Will try those new one...
Here is a link to some scp files. First time i've made some, so hope they are ok. Some are probably double density, most are probably single density. Let me know if you need anything more.

https://we.tl/t-zBvm0SpLfZ

Philip

namachari

Post by namachari »

I just tried those last two hfe files. neither seemed to work :-(

namachari

Post by namachari »

I can confirm that making hfe files from my scp dumps allows the hfe images to boot on the Atari.
So the issue might be with the translation from adf to hfe

namachari

Post by namachari »

Here are some more files a little better organised
These scp files can convert to hfe and work on real hardware.

https://we.tl/t-i21gVut4IJ

The 'Concord' images was unusual in that it was from a flippy disk where single density version on one side, and double density version on the other side. I dumped these as single sided images.