LNW80 format issues

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
evad

LNW80 format issues

Post by evad »

Jeff wrote:
evad wrote:
Jeff wrote: Exactly. During the write process, the virtual disk rotation is paused. So if the host machine have a too strict write/disk rotation timeout value, this maybe a problem. That's why a fast SD is recommended in these particular cases.

During any read process, you shouldn't see these kind of "throttles". Anyway, try to use the very last firmware version :

https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip

New Thread

Jeff,
Thanks for the response.
Already running v1.8.2.40 as I just received the unit 2 weeks ago. ( Version shown on boot flashes by very fast )
I am using Sandisk 8gb. Ultra SDHC Class 10. They are 40MB/s instead of 30MB/s as shown on the site http://lotharek.pl as tested cards.
I have ordered SanDisk Extreme SDHC UHS-I/U3 16GB Memory rated at 90MB/s read and 60MB/s write.
Hopefully these will work :)
The latest version is the V1.8.6.15a

Jeff,
I have installed the latest Firmware and have received the Sandsk Extreme 90MB/s read 40MS/s write SD cards. ( Yes they sent me different than advertised - they were to be 60MS/s write)

Still having format problems with the LNW80. For Newdos80v2.0 I have patched SYS6 to ignore "Motor Slow" error as we have discussed in another thread. The format fails on Double density.
For LDOS5.3.1 the format attempt also fails on Double Density.

In both cases above I can successfully format and verify a DSDD diskette in a real floppy drive.

The only difference I can find between the LNW80 and TRS-80 model 1 is that the LNDoubler5/8 forces Write precomprehensions for all double density tracks.

Per manual...
" Write precompensation is factory aligned to 200 ns +-25ns and is enabled only for double density operation (all tracks 5.25" and tracks above 43 for 8")."

Any Ideas???

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: LNW80 format issues

Post by Jeff »

evad wrote:
Jeff,
I have installed the latest Firmware and have received the Sandsk Extreme 90MB/s read 40MS/s write SD cards. ( Yes they sent me different than advertised - they were to be 60MS/s write)

Still having format problems with the LNW80. For Newdos80v2.0 I have patched SYS6 to ignore "Motor Slow" error as we have discussed in another thread. The format fails on Double density.

In both cases above I can successfully format and verify a DSDD diskette in a real floppy drive.

The only difference I can find between the LNW80 and TRS-80 model 1 is that the LNDoubler5/8 forces Write precomprehensions for all double density tracks.

Per manual...
" Write precompensation is factory aligned to 200 ns +-25ns and is enabled only for double density operation (all tracks 5.25" and tracks above 43 for 8")."

Any Ideas???
If you want to format and write a SD image with DD Sectors and vice and versa, you need to change some flags into the HFE file.
There is some flags into the HFE file to indicate to the emulator which mode will be used for the first track (Side 0 and Side 1) and all others tracks.
These flags are set automatically by the HxC software when you generate the HFE file. It just check the track type and report it to the HFE header.

Let me know which track density (SD or DD) you want for the first track (Side 0 and side 1) and the other tracks. I will generate some blank HFE.

evad

Post by evad »

Jeff wrote:
evad wrote:
Jeff,

Per manual...

Any Ideas???
If you want to format and write a SD image with DD Sectors and vice and versa, you need to change some flags into the HFE file.
There is some flags into the HFE file to indicate to the emulator which mode will be used for the first track (Side 0 and Side 1) and all others tracks.
These flags are set automatically by the HxC software when you generate the HFE file. It just check the track type and report it to the HFE header.

Let me know which track density (SD or DD) you want for the first track (Side 0 and side 1) and the other tracks. I will generate some blank HFE.

Jeff,
Thanks for the response.

I have been made aware of the changes needed for track zero to be opposite density

I would be extremely happy to just be able to format ALL tracks Double Density.
LNDoubler5/8 FD1791 Double Density Single Sided - 40 track, 256 byte sector, 18 Sector per track
NewDos80v2.0 Parms TI=C,TD=E,TC=40,SPT=18,TSR=3,GPL=2,DDSL=17,DDGA=2

Thanks for your help!!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you share the HFE file giving you the error ?

evad

Post by evad »

Jeff wrote:Can you share the HFE file giving you the error ?
See attached
An attempt was made to format the HFE file attached.

Thanks
Dave
Attachments
EF_40tkssdd18.zip
(22.5 KiB) Downloaded 335 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks

The track 0 seems to have some very curious sector layout : Various sector sizes and strange ID. Are you trying to write a copy protected image ?

evad

Post by evad »

Jeff wrote:Thanks

The track 0 seems to have some very curious sector layout : Various sector sizes and strange ID. Are you trying to write a copy protected image ?
No.. Simply using the DOS format command
Format 1,,,,Y
or
Format 1

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

evad wrote:

Format 1,,,,Y
or
Format 1

mhhhh so i can't explain at all what is on this track. It look like the the TRS80 is writing some kind of garbage for some reasons...
I suppose that the same command is working with a normal drive + floppy ?

evad

Post by evad »

Jeff wrote:
evad wrote:

Format 1,,,,Y
or
Format 1

mhhhh so i can't explain at all what is on this track. It look like the the TRS80 is writing some kind of garbage for some reasons...
I suppose that the same command is working with a normal drive + floppy ?
Yes ..Teac FD 55 floppy drive with no errors SD or DD with a verbatim DSDD disk

Note that I can format a Single Density HFE with no errors...

evad

Post by evad »

What tools do I need to help debug?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

evad wrote:Note that I can format a Single Density HFE with no errors...
Quite interesting

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

evad wrote:What tools do I need to help debug?
I just use the track viewer into the HxC software to check the HFE file.

Try to regenerate a blank MFM image (with 0 sector) and retry a format. Then share again the HFE.

evad

Post by evad »

Jeff wrote:

Try to regenerate a blank MFM image (with 0 sector) and retry a format. Then share again the HFE.
Ok ... Will do .. Also note the LNDoubler that is used on the LNW80

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/fjkraan/ ... index.html

evad

Post by evad »

evad wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Ok ... Will do .. Also note the LNDoubler that is used on the LNW80

http://www.vintagecomputer.net/fjkraan/ ... index.html
Attached is 4 attempts. also note that the HXC is the last one on the cable as is assumed to be terminated.
Also re-formatted diskette in Teac drive to be sure we were still working ok..

Thanks for your help!
Attachments
EF_40tkssdd18_2.zip
(89.5 KiB) Downloaded 334 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

I see 18 sectors per track on others track. Is it normal ? Did you set the number of sector to 0 to make the blank image ?