HFE image created from raw IMG file is not readable Kaypro2X

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
Bert

HFE image created from raw IMG file is not readable Kaypro2X

Post by Bert »

Hello again,

I've successfully copied all my physical diskettes to disk images on the HXC2001 emulator SD card. The emulator deals with HFE files. Then I converted each HFE file to a RAW file, with the IMG suffix. The raw file format is perfect for me because the linux cpm tools allow me to copy files to and from the raw image.

However, creating a HFE file from the raw IMG file is problematic. I expected that if I took a working HFE file and converted it to a raw IMG file, and then recreated an HFE file from the raw image file, that the two HFE files would be identical. However, that appears to not be the case. As a result, when I try to read the HFE file that was generated from the IMG file, it cannot be read by the kaypro using the hxc emulator. I've attached the files for comparison: empty.hfe is a working image that I created by formatting the disk on the kaypro. empty_hfe.img is the raw disk image that I have no trouble working with using the linux cpm tools. The empty_img.hfe was created with the hfc floppy emulator program. The HFE files are not identical, although I expected them to be.

Can you offer any suggestions? Thanks.

Regards, Bert
Attachments
images.zip
zip file contains the three files described in the post.
(47.44 KiB) Downloaded 387 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: HFE image created from raw IMG file is not readable Kayp

Post by Jeff »

Take care of the interface mode used. You should set it to shugart.

Bert

Post by Bert »

Hi Jeff,

Yes, I tried with the Windows version and a version of hxcfloppyemulator that was compiled from source on linux with the same results (i.e. I got the files as included in the zip file in the original post).

The parameters include an "Auto" checkbox. I get the same results when I check the auto box or not. When I select "auto", the pulldown is not editable and is set to Shugart (dimmed). If I do not select "auto", then I leave the pulldown as shugart (which is the default setting). It doesn't seem to matter what combination I use, I get the results indicated in my original post.

Regards, Bert

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

The disk layout is somewhat complex. (Start Sector 0, Interside sector numbering, and a strange interleave).

Just use the attached xml. This one have the right disk layout.

To use it :
Load Raw File -> Predef Disk Layout -> XML file disk layout (choose it)
Then Load Raw file (Choose your img file).

empty_hfe.zip
(4.22 KiB) Downloaded 451 times

Bert

Post by Bert »

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that worked, thank you! Although the resulting HFE file was not identical to the original HFE file that I started with, I had no trouble booting it and working with it. Now I will modify the .img file with the cpmtools by copying new files to it and then re-create a new hfe file from that by following your instructions. Hopefully the new files will appear in the hfe file. I'll let you know how that works out. I appreciate your help!

Cheers, Bert