NO DISK error with SD HxC and HP 1661A logic Anlayser

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
reggs

NO DISK error with SD HxC and HP 1661A logic Anlayser

Post by reggs »

Hi Jeff \ anyone -

I have an old (1980's) HP 1661A Logic Analyser (its part of the HP 1660 series) of Logic Analysers and I was hoping to swap out the Floppy Drive.
The original drive is an Epson SMD1000 and still works, but is beginning to give read errors.
I can read the 3.25" DD floppy disks on a PC fine and have several images loaded on to the SD card with Shugart selected.
There disks appear to be just standard MSDOS disks.

Originally I tried replacing it with a flashed Gotek drive + license, but got nowhere so purchased an SD HxC.

I've hooked up the SD HxC but the Analyser pins 7,9 and 11 have +5v on them and if connected the 1661A won't boot, I assume due to a straight short.
As there is no 4 pin power connector on the SMD1000 I'm just powering the SD HxC using pin 7 (+5V) and a common earth.

When I connect the SD HxC up with pins 7,9 and 11 disconnected, the 1661A now powers up, passes POST, recognises the SD HxC, seeks for some tracks and then reports NO DISK.

I've wired all of the even pins, pin to pin.
I've earthed to pin 33 as the majority of odd pins are all tied together apart from 7,9,&11.

I have tried the CUSTOM setting, changing the behavior of pins 2 and 34 and various things happen:
If pin 2 is changed from LOW, then UNSUPPORTED FORMAT gets reported.
If pin 34 is changed from LOW, then the 1661a usually reports that the drive has not passed POST and then refuses to access the drive at all.
I've tried altering to most settings, but would like to avoid damaging anything so haven't tried everything, mainly only
different HIGH and LOW settings.

Would anyone have any ideas what I could try to get passed the NO DISK error ?

Many thanks :)

reggs

SUCCESS !

Post by reggs »

Jeff to the rescue of course. Working perfectly with a new CFG file and Image :D

HP-1661A_05.jpg
HP-1661A_05.jpg (112.74 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
Last edited by reggs on Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: SUCCESS !

Post by Jeff »

Nice ! :D

modrobert

Re: NO DISK error with SD HxC and HP 1661A logic Anlayser

Post by modrobert »

I have a HP 1660AS logic analyzer which by the looks of it uses the same type of floppy drive.

reggs,

Can you post the pinout and config used for the drive?