TRS80 Model 1 - Basic help

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
apspurgeon

TRS80 Model 1 - Basic help

Post by apspurgeon »

Hi All

I have a TRS80 Model 1, with 2 physical floppy drives working well.

I'm trying to figure out if I can use the HxC as a 3rd drive (the jumpers on HxC only seem to allow Drive 0 or 1?)

also

If I reconfigure the TRS80 to have a single physical drive, and select HxC to be Drive 1 if get "Device not ready" error from NewDOS/80 when trying to use the HxC. (The HxC is connected to the ribbon cable before the physical drives - before terminator)

I have tried a number of different image files from other users with Model 1's. But suspect it may be a .CFG file problem...

Any guidance on how to find the issue most welcome

gonk23

Re: TRS80 Model 1 - Basic help

Post by gonk23 »

apspurgeon wrote:I'm trying to figure out if I can use the HxC as a 3rd drive (the jumpers on HxC only seem to allow Drive 0 or 1?)
This should be possible by changing the jumper settings. The jumpers allow you to assign drive A and B (the 2 HxC virtual drives) to any of the Shugart select signals. I assume at the moment you have drive A assigned to ID0 and drive B assigned to ID1. To make drive A respond as the 3rd drive, put its jumper on ID2.
apspurgeon wrote:get "Device not ready" error from NewDOS/80 when trying to use the HxC
I'm not sure if this is your problem, but remember that disks aren't always readable between different TRS80 operating systems. So ensure your disk image matches the operating system you booted up.

Audronic

Post by Audronic »

""get "Device not ready" error from NewDOS/80 when trying to use the HxC""

Please check the Pdrive settings on the Newdos Disk.
and check if it is the same format as the Hxc that you have created

For a test use only Single Density / Single Sided images to prove it will work (Pdrive adjust).

Good luck Ray
If it ain't Broke then PLEASE DONT fix it.

Procrastinators Unite !

apspurgeon

Post by apspurgeon »

Thanks will check pdrive (will need to google that - it's been 30 years!)

What would be very helpful (while I still get to grips with the HxC) is to get a known good NEWDOS/80 compatible image for a TRS80 Model 1 to work from.
Just so I can eliminate this part while I chew through the other possible problems

I'm still trying to get my head around all the disk image formats.
As I understand, DSK images are essentially a wrapper/container for JV1, JV4, DMK Formats.
Each will/can have unique characteristics (tracks/sides/density etc)

HFE is the native HxC format, so think I need to convert the DSK (while making sure the image matches the desired SS/SD format) to an HFE
- correct?

P.S I see you are in Aust (NZ here), would would be OK for me to call sometime to answer a few questions? apspurgeon@gmail.com