Enterprise 64 / 128 supported

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
TomPhobos

Enterprise 64 / 128 supported

Post by TomPhobos »

Hi,

last week i tried to connect the SD-version of the HxC floppy emulator with an Enterprise 128-computer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_(computer)

I used an EXDOS-interface with it. That's the standard interface with built-in disk controller to connect Shugart-compatible floppy drives.
I set the HxC as drive A:, built some images with the HxC-software and used the 3,5" 720KB IBM-format.
And well, it works perfect (see attached photos) :)
So you can add the Enterprise as an official supported computer (when the Enterprise is equipped with an EXDOS-interface)
Attachments
Enterprise with HxC
Enterprise with HxC
20130302_195854.jpg (123.84 KiB) Viewed 16640 times
Enterprise with HxC
Enterprise with HxC
Enterprise_HxC_1.jpg (160.43 KiB) Viewed 16640 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Enterprise 64 / 128 supported

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the feedback will add it to the list !
:D

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

TomPhobos suggested the HxC in the Enterprise forum.
When I view it then see no Enterprise Host control tool! Outrageous! :D
To change this situation I ordered one for can I develop control sw. It is arrived yesterday.
I started testing :)

Some words about Enterprise disk formats:
Disk format is a MS-DOS compatible FAT12 standard, 40/80 tracks, SS/DS, 8,9 sectors/track. Original EXDOS ROM also handle 10 sector/track disks, but it is soon modified for can handle 11 sectors. Any extra tracks can be used, most common disk format are 840K. With NEC FD1035 drive can be used up to 90 tracks, I have many disks with 990K format.
For the track numbers the ROM limit are 254.

Now I tested 8/9/10/11 sectors format, also with extra tracks, all working!

The 2.50MB DSDD FAT12 from the HxC sw are also working!

Currently two problems found:
For the 40 tracks disk images the double stepping not emulated. It is looks a 80 tracks disk with the first 40 tracks used. For simple load/save this is not problem, but with some programs which directly acces the disk will be a problem, because the drive detected as 80 tracks drive and a disk as 40 tracks disk then double stepping will be used.

Write Track not working, it is totally skiped, sector data bytes not changed!
Because this, formating the emulated disk stopped with verify error. It is can be done without verify or with program which not check sector data only the Data Error flag of WD.
During the formating mystic WEOE displayed on the LCD, I not found in the user manual what is this...

For example the ep128emu (Enterprise emulator program for PC) at this situation detect the sector data bytes in the track writing data stream and write to the proper sectors in the disk image. It is possible implement least this method to the HxC?
I think this man also found same problem: http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=447

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zozosoft wrote: Currently two problems found:
For the 40 tracks disk images the double stepping not emulated. It is looks a 80 tracks disk with the first 40 tracks used. For simple load/save this is not problem, but with some programs which directly acces the disk will be a problem, because the drive detected as 80 tracks drive and a disk as 40 tracks disk then double stepping will be used.
It is working, but you have to activate the option !
Zozosoft wrote: Write Track not working, it is totally skiped, sector data bytes not changed!
Because this, formating the emulated disk stopped with verify error. It is can be done without verify or with program which not check sector data only the Data Error flag of WD.
During the formating mystic WEOE displayed on the LCD, I not found in the user manual what is this...

For example the ep128emu (Enterprise emulator program for PC) at this situation detect the sector data bytes in the track writing data stream and write to the proper sectors in the disk image. It is possible implement least this method to the HxC?
I think this man also found same problem: http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=447
[/quote]

I am actually working on a new write support. So the thing is in the pipe ;)

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

Jeff wrote: It is working, but you have to activate the option !
Ok, I found it at the Emulator Settings, it is working.
But every time needed for switch on for 40 tracks images and switch off for 80 tracks. Is any way to auto detection (less than 50 tracks are double steppings), especially for batch conversion?
Jeff wrote:I am actually working on a new write support. So the thing is in the pipe ;)
Great news!

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

I readed the documentations, but not found the answer for: how the file selection softwares works?
The direct Access documentation only talking about read/write SDCard sectors.
Is exist more documentations what needed to do in host control sw?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zozosoft wrote:I readed the documentations, but not found the answer for: how the file selection softwares works?
The direct Access documentation only talking about read/write SDCard sectors.
Is exist more documentations what needed to do in host control sw?
Some examples :
http://hxcfloppyemu.svn.sourceforge.net ... _selector/

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

Is any way to create custom FAT12 disk images?
The RAW disk creator are very good but only can create empty unformated disks. Image types which are previously exist on the real hw, can be formated (with some problem what I wrote previously), and then can be used.
But I want to play with some crazy formats (254 tracks, 27-28 sectors, different GAP, interleave, etc settings) detecting which are the best big disk format what can be used on Enterprise.

Is it possible add "Format FAT12" option to RAW disk creator? Or "Set RAW disk parameters" to the Creat DOS disks menu?

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

Or can you suggest other program which can create custom FAT12 image what will can be used in the RAW disk window "Load RAW file"?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zozosoft wrote:Or can you suggest other program which can create custom FAT12 image what will can be used in the RAW disk window "Load RAW file"?
No this doesn't exist as far i know. only the hxc software is able to do this.

anyway if you want tweak the dos image format, the only way for the moment is to modify the definition table and rebuild the dll :

http://hxcfloppyemu.svn.sourceforge.net ... iew=markup

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

Finaly found with the Winimage can do it, but need some manual calculations.
Then I loaded the created image to HxC RAW function and converted to .HFE file.
Successfully working the 254/28/2: 7112K disk :D

It is looks the 28 sectors are the maximum with the WD1772, because generate error after waiting long time for the sector.

For using this crazy format needed a little modified EXDOS ROM (at the sector number checking), the today used versions can handle this.

Needed some more play for find the best performance settings (Interleave, Skew).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zozosoft wrote:Finaly found with the Winimage can do it, but need some manual calculations.
Then I loaded the created image to HxC RAW function and converted to .HFE file.
Successfully working the 254/28/2: 7112K disk :D

It is looks the 28 sectors are the maximum with the WD1772, because generate error after waiting long time for the sector.

For using this crazy format needed a little modified EXDOS ROM (at the sector number checking), the today used versions can handle this.

Needed some more play for find the best performance settings (Interleave, Skew).
i suppose that if you can modify the exdos rom, you can also remove the timeout ;)

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

Jeff wrote:i suppose that if you can modify the exdos rom, you can also remove the timeout ;)
Will try it!
Is any experience about WD1772 max sectors on other computers for example Atari ST?

Previously I tried the predefinied 4.23MB DSDD Atari format, it is use only 27 sectors, but not worked, error at 13. and 14. sectors.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Zozosoft wrote:
Jeff wrote:i suppose that if you can modify the exdos rom, you can also remove the timeout ;)
Will try it!
Is any experience about WD1772 max sectors on other computers for example Atari ST?

Previously I tried the predefinied 4.23MB DSDD Atari format, it is use only 27 sectors, but not worked, error at 13. and 14. sectors.
should be 256, but the problem is the OS timeout.

Zozosoft

Post by Zozosoft »

Jeff wrote: I am actually working on a new write support. So the thing is in the pipe ;)
Hi Jeff!
I see in other topics talking about new beta firmware. Can you also send to me?