Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others computers...
Post Reply
keenerb
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by keenerb » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:22 pm

the Trackstar ISA Apple compatibility card can use a standard 360k disk drive to read/write Apple disk images.

I'm optimistic that the Gotek with a suitable raw disk image can provide that same level of compatibility.

Has anyone tried this before?

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:51 pm

keenerb wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:22 pm
the Trackstar ISA Apple compatibility card can use a standard 360k disk drive to read/write Apple disk images.

I'm optimistic that the Gotek with a suitable raw disk image can provide that same level of compatibility.

Has anyone tried this before?
yes this should be possible with some tweaks, at least in read mode :

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3728&p=21696#p21696

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1177

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... aR9noqb0JE

keenerb
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by keenerb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm

Interesting, thank you. You think the images might be read-only though?

I'll be giving it a shot tonight or tomorrow.

I think the HXC SHOULD allow the Trackstar copy-protected disk image to execute properly, and if the hxc can present an apple .do image as if it were a physical apple disk inserted into a PC floppy drive everything should be golden.

Hope for the best...

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by Jeff » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:27 pm

keenerb wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Interesting, thank you. You think the images might be read-only though?
yes the decoder probably need some modifications to support the GCR write stream.
keenerb wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm
I'll be giving it a shot tonight or tomorrow.

I think the HXC SHOULD allow the Trackstar copy-protected disk image to execute properly, and if the hxc can present an apple .do image as if it were a physical apple disk inserted into a PC floppy drive everything should be golden.

Hope for the best...
Try to use the hxc software to convert the .do in hfe.

keenerb
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by keenerb » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:24 pm

Hm well read-only would be a bummer but I can at least get some idea as to whether this is even possible, and start hoping for write support at some point in the future.

Considering the Trackstar reads and writes Apple 2 disks natively in a 360kb IBM PC floppy drive I have some level of hope that it MIGHT actually work though.

keenerb
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by keenerb » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:12 am

Jeff wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:27 pm
keenerb wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Interesting, thank you. You think the images might be read-only though?
yes the decoder probably need some modifications to support the GCR write stream.
keenerb wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm
I'll be giving it a shot tonight or tomorrow.

I think the HXC SHOULD allow the Trackstar copy-protected disk image to execute properly, and if the hxc can present an apple .do image as if it were a physical apple disk inserted into a PC floppy drive everything should be golden.

Hope for the best...
Try to use the hxc software to convert the .do in hfe.
My hxc software (2.2.3.1) doesn't recognize the DSK file formats. Looking into the parameters for raw file format.

I renamed DSK to DO and attempted to load via the latest HXC beta emulator software and receive "Load error read file error". I will try other images next.

Update: Looks like it was a bad image. It's recognizing .do files as 56 tracks, idk if that's right or not but it's something.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by Jeff » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

Share your dsk/do i will test them.

keenerb
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by keenerb » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:11 am

I was trying to convert the original .dsk, not the .do I copied the file to.

It seems to recognize the .do as 35 tracks now.

Track analyzer reports it as 283kb not 140kb, not sure what's up with that, but I can't really test to see if it works or not until I get the Trackstar software itself running.
Attachments
AdvConstSet1of6.zip
(87.82 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 am

keenerb wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:11 am
I was trying to convert the original .dsk, not the .do I copied the file to.

It seems to recognize the .do as 35 tracks now.

Track analyzer reports it as 283kb not 140kb, not sure what's up with that, but I can't really test to see if it works or not until I get the Trackstar software itself running.
Yes it appears that the viewer counts A2 sectors twice... Need to fix this bug too ;).
But the encoded disk is fine.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6986
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:55 am

Jeff wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:14 am
Yes it appears that the viewer counts A2 sectors twice... Need to fix this bug too ;).
But the encoded disk is fine.
(Now fixed)

keenerb
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:19 pm

Re: Has anyone tried an HXC Gotek setup with a Trackstar Apple II emulation card?

Post by keenerb » Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:29 am

For reference, this is working very well.

Jeff provided a converted HFE Trackstar boot disk that works perfectly (so far), and I've been able to load a converted Apple II Monopoly disk from Gotek with no issues!

Apple compatibility with Gotek on my Tandy 1000 achieved! Hopefully disk writes work, we'll soon see.
Attachments
monopoly.JPG
monopoly.JPG (43.9 KiB) Viewed 130 times

Post Reply