SY99 can read but can't write

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
markw

SY99 can read but can't write

Post by markw »

Jeff,

I built a SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator from your kit and installed it in my Yamaha SY99 synthesizer. I have a 34 pin to 26 pin converter that I verified works with a floppy drive before I hooked up the HxC emulator.

Using my PC, I put my files into the HFE floppy image files and then copied the HFE files to the SD card. Of course I have a HXCSDFE.CFG on the SD card too. And then I put the SD card in the SDHxC emulator in the synth it works and I can read and load all my files.

My problem is that when I try to write a file back out to the HFE file using the synth. The file write reports successful on the synth and the file shows up in the synth file system, but then when I dismount and remount the HFE image the file I wrote is gone!

The SD card is not write protected and I have tried using a regular 2GB SD card and a 8GB SDHC card, and get the same results.

Have you seen anything like this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: SY99 can read but can't write

Post by Jeff »

markw wrote:Jeff,

I built a SDCard HxC Floppy Emulator from your kit and installed it in my Yamaha SY99 synthesizer. I have a 34 pin to 26 pin converter that I verified works with a floppy drive before I hooked up the HxC emulator.

Using my PC, I put my files into the HFE floppy image files and then copied the HFE files to the SD card. Of course I have a HXCSDFE.CFG on the SD card too. And then I put the SD card in the SDHxC emulator in the synth it works and I can read and load all my files.

My problem is that when I try to write a file back out to the HFE file using the synth. The file write reports successful on the synth and the file shows up in the synth file system, but then when I dismount and remount the HFE image the file I wrote is gone!

The SD card is not write protected and I have tried using a regular 2GB SD card and a 8GB SDHC card, and get the same results.

Have you seen anything like this? Thanks in advance for your help.
From which kit exactly ? WHich software version are you using ?
Do you see "WR" on the LCD when the synth write to the floppy ?

markw

Post by markw »

I built my emulator using Lotharek's "SD Floppy Emulator PCB and PIC" kit: http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=33

I have version 1.7.1.2 firmware installed.

When the synth writes to the emulator I see "WR" at the left, blinking to "RA" briefly.
I also see the dreaded "WETO" on the right side of the display while writing.

Note that at power-up the emulator remembers which image I was using, so that means it can write to the config file on the card.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

markw wrote: I also see the dreaded "WETO" on the right side of the display while writing.
Ok. Can you check the FLOPPY_WDATA# signal path ? R14 is ok ?

markw

Post by markw »

Verified continuity is OK on the FLOPPY_WDATA# signal from the HxC PIC pin 16 all the way back to the SY99 floppy disk controller chip (WD37C65C) pin 30.
Measuring across R14 (actually from the PIC pin 16 to VCC5V) reads 920 ohms.

By the way, I have an SY99 service manual and schematics if you need other info about the synth.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

markw wrote:Verified continuity is OK on the FLOPPY_WDATA# signal from the HxC PIC pin 16 all the way back to the SY99 floppy disk controller chip (WD37C65C) pin 30.
Measuring across R14 (actually from the PIC pin 16 to VCC5V) reads 920 ohms.

By the way, I have an SY99 service manual and schematics if you need other info about the synth.
Yes please send me the service manual + the HFE file.

markw

Post by markw »

I found the problem - there was a bit of debris between the R14 and R15 pads, causing an intermittent contact between the WDATA# and STEP# signals. I removed it and there is no WETO error any more - everything works OK now. Success! Thanks for your help!