Question about the FDD connector on the Emulator

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Skuddle

Question about the FDD connector on the Emulator

Post by Skuddle »

I looked at the photos of the USB FDD emulator and it appears that the floppy connector will not accept the 3.5-inch FDD connection cable inside a Yamaha PSR 2000. :( It looks like the emulator was designed to accept a wider cable than the one inside the keyboard that connects to the keyboard's FDD. The cable in the keyboard has a twist in the ribbon close to its FDD connector (for drive selection, I suppose) and the connector shown in the emulator PCBA photos at leads me to believe that the emulator does not accept such a cable.

Is that true?

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Question about the FDD connector on the Emulator

Post by Jeff »

Skuddle wrote:I looked at the photos of the USB FDD emulator and it appears that the floppy connector will not accept the 3.5-inch FDD connection cable inside a Yamaha PSR 2000. :( It looks like the emulator was designed to accept a wider cable than the one inside the keyboard that connects to the keyboard's FDD. The cable in the keyboard has a twist in the ribbon close to its FDD connector (for drive selection, I suppose) and the connector shown in the emulator PCBA photos at leads me to believe that the emulator does not accept such a cable.

Is that true?
a picture please. without it i cannot tell...

Skuddle

Post by Skuddle »

Pictures coming up....

Skuddle

Post by Skuddle »

The longer connector is about 2.2 inches long; the shorter is about 1.9 inches long.
Attachments
FDD Cables.jpg
FDD Cables.jpg (122.91 KiB) Viewed 4744 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Skuddle wrote:The longer connector is about 2.2 inches long; the shorter is about 1.9 inches long.
I don't see any problem : The left cable is a IDE/PATA cable - no point with floppy disk drive.
The Right cable is a floppy cable and can be used without problem with the HxC (USB , SD, ...)

Skuddle

Post by Skuddle »

Okay, thanks for the confirmation. The reason I asked is because Floppy connector on the motherboard in my HP desktop computer looked like, and indeed must be, an IDE connector.

I also noticed that the USB FD Emulator is not write-capable i.e. it is a read-only unit. That means I can only transfer files from the USB connector to the FDD cable. I need to be able to write via the FDD connector as well.

I see on your web page that the SD version does have write capabilities so that's what I'd be interested in.

Thanks for your time, and sorry about the image upload - I couldn't find a way to delete it after I had uploaded it.
Attachments
sdcardfloppyemulator.jpg
sdcardfloppyemulator.jpg (53.05 KiB) Viewed 4740 times