using a smaller display for the hxc emulator

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
jhulk

using a smaller display for the hxc emulator

Post by jhulk »

question for the designer is it possible to use a smaller display so that we can make the hxc 3.5" compliant so that it can be a 1 for swap

as it stands the product works and is great but it still look very diy product and not a finished

1 for 1 exchange product the box solution is fine but having to bodge the casing in various ways does not

appeal to a lot of people and not very good for live situations

would it be possible to fit segment displays with say 4-8 digits with abreviated messages so that it can fit in the 3.5"

format

any help in this matter as i know there would be a lot more takers if there was a professional looking 3.5" 1 for 1 swap format

pistasmash

Re: using a smaller display for the hxc emulator

Post by pistasmash »

THAT'S WHAT I NEED MEN...

cbrunschen

Post by cbrunschen »

jhulk wrote:question for the designer is it possible to use a smaller display so that we can make the hxc 3.5" compliant so that it can be a 1 for swap

as it stands the product works and is great but it still look very diy product and not a finished

1 for 1 exchange product the box solution is fine but having to bodge the casing in various ways does not

appeal to a lot of people and not very good for live situations

would it be possible to fit segment displays with say 4-8 digits with abreviated messages so that it can fit in the 3.5"

format

any help in this matter as i know there would be a lot more takers if there was a professional looking 3.5" 1 for 1 swap format
See also this thread.

// Christian

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Something will happen soon ;)

jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i have found a tiny display that is a 16x2 and will fit into a a 3.5" hieght standard floppy drive size it will take up half the drive space to one side leaving room for the card slot and 3 leds and the push buttons

if i use the board that is already made i can use extender cables for the sd slot and the led go into sockets and are hard wired to the leds on the board and the swithes are panel mounted with hard wired to the swithes on the board

the lcd is a led backlighted 1 and has a flat ribbon cable this goes into a smd flat ribbon connector this goes to a small pcb which has a idc connector for the 14 pins that fit the idc connector on the pcb board that the lcd sits on

this makes it expensive due to addition hardware and having small pcbs for the lcd module and the sd socket which is wired to the socket on the original pcb

the holder is just steel folded at the front and lips at the sides for screw fixing the floppy drive enclosure all the pcbs fit onto the botom of the the bracket

with a pcb board revision so that all connectors and socket at the right hand side with through holes for the leds and push buttons becuase they are panel mounted

i will do a frontpanel `express design showing my mock up design

this will be a great module as it will look professional and there will be more people wanting the item

and there could be to front panel designs as there is more plate for the shugart drives of the older synths like the ensoniqs and emaxes and the dss1 which are the larger fronted 3.5 floppy drive

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jhulk wrote:i have found a tiny display that is a 16x2 and will fit into a a 3.5" hieght standard floppy drive size it will take up half the drive space to one side leaving room for the card slot and 3 leds and the push buttons

if i use the board that is already made i can use extender cables for the sd slot and the led go into sockets and are hard wired to the leds on the board and the swithes are panel mounted with hard wired to the swithes on the board

the lcd is a led backlighted 1 and has a flat ribbon cable this goes into a smd flat ribbon connector this goes to a small pcb which has a idc connector for the 14 pins that fit the idc connector on the pcb board that the lcd sits on

this makes it expensive due to addition hardware and having small pcbs for the lcd module and the sd socket which is wired to the socket on the original pcb

the holder is just steel folded at the front and lips at the sides for screw fixing the floppy drive enclosure all the pcbs fit onto the botom of the the bracket

with a pcb board revision so that all connectors and socket at the right hand side with through holes for the leds and push buttons becuase they are panel mounted

i will do a frontpanel `express design showing my mock up design

this will be a great module as it will look professional and there will be more people wanting the item

and there could be to front panel designs as there is more plate for the shugart drives of the older synths like the ensoniqs and emaxes and the dss1 which are the larger fronted 3.5 floppy drive
http://www.lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=42
:wink:

cbrunschen

Post by cbrunschen »

Excellent! I'm looking forward to getting a bit more information about it – and possibly a picture, even if it's an artist's or a 3d rendering - but if it is indeed a slot-in 3.5 inch floppy drive replacement, then this will be a product that even less-technically-inclined people can buy & use to keep older equipment running and happy, without needing any case modifications or other ... fiddling :)

// Christian

5c4r7

Post by 5c4r7 »

Awesome news Jeff! I am excited. Please keep us posted! :)

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

Just for information :

Pcb is in prduction ( first 5 units) , all parts here, all prepared, guys in
SESMIL CORP. are waiting for ready assembled first unit to finally finish casing,

The first READY unit will be within 2 weeks (or maybe 3) When I got
it and ALL WILL BE OK, first batch of 400 will be introduced to serial production

So, patience, Luke ;-)
..... Atari Roxxx !!!

futureman

Post by futureman »

I'm happy to pre-order, but I'd love to see a picture.. Even of the prototype.

5c4r7

Post by 5c4r7 »

Agreed. Photos would be amazing. If all looks good I am willing to preorder as well. :)

5c4r7

Post by 5c4r7 »

Hey guys, do you have any photos of a finished unit yet? If so, can you please post one? I would just like to check out the build. I have money ready to preorder.

Thanks!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

5c4r7 wrote:Hey guys, do you have any photos of a finished unit yet? If so, can you please post one? I would just like to check out the build. I have money ready to preorder.

Thanks!
It's a preorder, so no there are no photos...

5c4r7

Post by 5c4r7 »

Sorry, just thought you might have a prototype unit already built.

lotharek

Post by lotharek »

Hopefully photos will be available of the first UNITS next week, but can not promise - there is f...g freeze and have plenty of wokr with tankers.
..... Atari Roxxx !!!