Casio FZ-1 and HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
aaking76

Re: Casio FZ-1 and HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by aaking76 »

So, from my experience in other forums, even on here, helpfulness is appreciated.
There is no reason to re invent the wheel, or make a barrier to entry on these things...
The same images have been floating around on multiple forums for years now, and everyone that gets an HxC wants them...

I ask a few questions, and get lectured about reading the forum "A-Z", come on, in the 950 forum people including the maker where very helpful, and that is much appreciated...

I hope that the next person that gets one of these, and gets it to work will not have to spend time collecting all the images, and then converting them.

Here are all the images in HFE format... 274 images, +30 blank ones like the 950 comes with....

I hope that this will help the next guy, and prevent him or her from reading mostly about a specialized cable and not about getting this thing to work with the proper format...

https://mega.co.nz/#!F9kkATRT!zQi0oj_R0 ... YNyC-jujfw

Robber

Post by Robber »

Hello aaking76,

Your 2 meg files don't load into the FZ (I assume you have a 2 meg FZ).
E.g. shareware bank number 80 is 2 meg and the FZ will ask: "next disk?" and there it stops
because there is no "next disk".
You can't just convert a 2 meg full dump to 1 hfe image. Read here for the solution:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 30#p726482

Here Graham's "entire collection of known FZ samples in the universe":

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 15#p721334

and also on this forum ('a-z' remember :P ) swissdoc's link to the Swedish User Group which I call the "Andreas Goransson" files. Mostly bank (fzb) and voice (fzv) dumps.

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopi ... =30#p10093

aaking76

Post by aaking76 »

yes,

those shareware ones that were numbered, i didn't get a chance to test them....and there were so many that it will take a while to address that issue...
The the ones that i have tested worked great...
I did use those links to find the images... and even converted a few one by one to test.... then lazily used batch process, once i got to the ones mentioned...

i think the archive will help anyway, ill have to go through and find all the ones that have that problem, which could take a while....lol

Once I went through the ones that I did, i realized that the images werent the greatest in the world anyway, and just started sampling and saving to the empties, and then renaming them on pc...
just building my own samples....

Thanks for the feedback..

I will change the archive when i get the time to... The one above took a lot of time to find those images and convert them... just slipped on the insert disk b thing.... and i had read about it....

Without going through and testing all of them, can one look at the size of the file to determine if it is a split image? the ones that are 2 meg, i presume..
if that is the case, which i am unsure of, there are 6 images in my archive that won't work, based on looking for that file size.

Robber

Post by Robber »

aaking76 wrote: Without going through and testing all of them, can one look at the size of the file to determine if it is a split image? the ones that are 2 meg, i presume..
if that is the case, which i am unsure of, there are 6 images in my archive that won't work, based on looking for that file size.
Every fzf file bigger than approximately 1.245KB (shareware 139). Perhaps a little bigger.
Shareware disk 139 fits on 1 hfe disk, shareware disk 073 (1455KB) doesn't so somewhere in between. Didn't check that yet.

I had to transfer the bigger ones, which are of course not available on floppy disks, through MIDI which is painstakingly slow, almost half an hour for a full 2 meg and then split them up to file hfe A and hfe B.

That's where the cables come in. Transfer of 2meg. files between two FZ samplers brings it down to 73 seconds. Transfer from PC to FZ assumingly the same.

For converting the Swedish User Samples, together almost 1GB a cable from PC to FZ is very welcome and also the editing program, especially voor voice and bank management in order to create fzf files which can be converted to hfe files.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
24/03/2013: HxCFloppyEmulator 2.0.12.2
-> New Loader : Casio FZF floppy image support added.

Robber

Post by Robber »

Replaced the backlight panel for the FZ10m yesterday.
Remove old panel.jpg
Remove old panel.jpg (161.21 KiB) Viewed 20891 times
The old one was real dim already and getting dimmer in time, barely visible in the dark and also caused problems. After a couple of hours in use the port cable transmission failed and no sound was coming out anymore.
First I thought it was due to lifting ground. See previous postings about this subject. Jeff warned me for this.
Port transmission faillure happenend before, but next day everything worked again as usual. This should have rung a bell.
When there was no sound anymore I knew it had to be the backlight panel so a week ago I ordered two panels by Backlight4you for 11 euro's each. A soft-yellow which is now inside (but rather than yellow shows a bright, green glow} and a blue-green as a spare.
I'm convinced now that lifting ground to get rid of the ground loop noise will cause no further problems.
Since this has nothing to do anymore with the HxC SD Floppy Emulator (there's no HxC in the FZ10...yet) I want to migrate this topic about Casio FZ samplers to:

http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=44276

of course, the Casio FZ1 topic.

ahaigh01

Post by ahaigh01 »

Hi,
I just installed the HxC rev F in my FZ-1. I copied the FZ-1 files from the "QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages" to the SD card and it worked right away - fantastic!

I am able to create floppy images from .FZF files that work - no problem. My question is, can you go the other direction? Get the .FZF file out of a .HFE image on the PC? I would like to do this to get .FZF files from floppies onto the PC - I have been using MIDI which is very slow.

FZ10 with floppy drive -->full dump to FZ-1 over "high speed cable" and save to HxC --> Put SD card in PC and extract the .FZF

Does the HxC Floppy Emulator software do this? Thanks

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ahaigh01 wrote:Hi,
I just installed the HxC rev F in my FZ-1. I copied the FZ-1 files from the "QuickInstall_FloppyDiskImages" to the SD card and it worked right away - fantastic!

I am able to create floppy images from .FZF files that work - no problem. My question is, can you go the other direction? Get the .FZF file out of a .HFE image on the PC? I would like to do this to get .FZF files from floppies onto the PC - I have been using MIDI which is very slow.

FZ10 with floppy drive -->full dump to FZ-1 over "high speed cable" and save to HxC --> Put SD card in PC and extract the .FZF

Does the HxC Floppy Emulator software do this? Thanks
this can be done, if i found the time to code the fzf writer ;)

morning guts

Post by morning guts »

Hi,

I can't mount .hfe files from the emulator, and when I try to save a voice I've created in the FZ-1, it says "Disk Protected".

Any ideas what I've done wrong?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

morning guts wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:04 am
Hi,

I can't mount .hfe files from the emulator, and when I try to save a voice I've created in the FZ-1, it says "Disk Protected".

Any ideas what I've done wrong?
Which emulator exactly ?

morning guts

Post by morning guts »

Sorry,

It's the HXC Rev F.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

morning guts wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am
Sorry,

It's the HXC Rev F.
Please select an image and take a picture of the HxC lcd screen and share it here.

morning guts

Post by morning guts »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:18 pm
morning guts wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am
Sorry,

It's the HXC Rev F.
Please select an image and take a picture of the HxC lcd screen and share it here.
Attachments
HXC 1.png
HXC 1.png (245.02 KiB) Viewed 17366 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you try the FZ1 images present into this zip file ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip

morning guts

Post by morning guts »

Jeff wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Can you try the FZ1 images present into this zip file ? :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_dri ... Images.zip

Thank you for the update.

These new files resulted in the same behaviour, though.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Reconnect the floppy ribbon to the other way.