Casio FZ-1 and HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Pakito

Casio FZ-1 and HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by Pakito »

Hi HxC forum!

Will HxC Floppy Drive Emulator work with a Casio FZ-1? It features a 2HD floppy drive. AFAIK Shugart standard.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Casio FZ-1 and HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by Jeff »

Pakito wrote:Hi HxC forum!

Will HxC Floppy Drive Emulator work with a Casio FZ-1? It features a 2HD floppy drive. AFAIK Shugart standard.
It should, but what is the floppy image used with the Casio FZ-1

Pakito

Post by Pakito »

Pakito

Post by Pakito »

Pakito

Post by Pakito »

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Thanks,

The Hardware of the HxC Floppy Emulator is directly compatible with the Casio FZ1.

Regarding the file image, the FZF files isn't a floppy image file format.
This one must be translated.

Anyway you can dump yours floppy disks into the imd format (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/) , and use them with the emulator.

jeffe

Post by jeffe »

Can anyone provide any insight into how to read a Casio FZ-1 disk to a raw image?

OmniFlop, ImageDisk, and Teledisk all fail for me. I have a floppy connected to the computer motherboard, but it will not read the disk. Per the disk format information, does this require modifying my drive to operate at a different speed?

Thanks,
-j

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

jeffe wrote:Can anyone provide any insight into how to read a Casio FZ-1 disk to a raw image?

OmniFlop, ImageDisk, and Teledisk all fail for me. I have a floppy connected to the computer motherboard, but it will not read the disk. Per the disk format information, does this require modifying my drive to operate at a different speed?

Thanks,
-j
Have you tried with the HxC software ?

5c4r7

Post by 5c4r7 »

I had similar issues getting omniflop or the HXC software to read and create sampler disk images when using a computer with a slim floppy drive. I ended up going back to my big old Dell tower with a standard 3.5" floppy and it worked fine. Not sure if it was a hardware issue or software/driver related. Both were running XP and I checked everything I could think of but, they both appeared to be set up in an identical configuration on the software side. It might just be that some drives are not as compatible as others. I would try on a different machine. I used to have an FZ-10 and I remember reading that replacement displays and floppy drives were difficult to come by so, being able to use an HXC would be a big plus on that beast IMO.

jeffe

Post by jeffe »

I am using a tower machine with a built-in disk drive.

I tried to do a floppy dump using HxC software, and it seems to be working fine. Slow, but fine. I have been saving the images as both hxc and IMG format.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I probably cannot write these images to disk using omniflop can I - for the same reasons I couldn't read?
If not, can the HxC write a disk from an image in the same way it reads?

fz1

Post by fz1 »

Any luck with connecting the HxC to the Casio FZ-1? I modified a PC floppy drive so that it spins at 360RPM and that allows me to read data from my FZ-1 floppies (whether it is meaningful data I have yet to check). The next step is to connect the HxC to the FZ-1 but I am not sure how to do this. Does anyone here have success story to share?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Is the Casio FZ1 use a standard floppy connector ?

fz1

Post by fz1 »

Physically it looks like a standard connector. The electrical details are given in http://www.buchty.net/casio/fz1-diskdrive.html

Since my last post, I verified that the disk images I prepared contain meaningful data. The only thing that has me worried a little is that the floppy disk dump software says that it read 1248 sectors whereas the documentation of the FZ-1's disk format speaks of 1280 sectors. But perhaps the documentation is off, I'm not sure.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Send me the HFE file, i will check it.

fz1

Post by fz1 »

Jeff wrote:Send me the HFE file, i will check it.
Should I send it via email to ----?