Casio FZ-1 and HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Casio FZ-1 and HxC Floppy Drive Emulator

Post by Jeff »

fz1 wrote:
Jeff wrote:Send me the HFE file, i will check it.
Should I send it via email to ----?
Yes.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Finally :
fz1 wrote: I now had the chance to test the disk image with the Casio itself and as
far as I can tell it works. :-)
:mrgreen:

fz1

Post by fz1 »

Everything works fine, the next problem now is to convert a bunch of Casio dump files to HFE format. I have a program that creates raw disk images that I can convert manually using the raw loading functionality with appropriate settings for the floppy format but this is quite tedious. I was hoping to be able to batch convert the whole lot. Another possibility would be for me to add the reading of Casio .fzf files to the HxC floppy emulator itself but I'm not sure how to contribute to the software. The easiest for me to use would be a command line utility that does what the GUI does (i.e. given a raw disk image and an .fpf floppy profile file write a .hfe file).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

fz1 wrote:Everything works fine, the next problem now is to convert a bunch of Casio dump files to HFE format. I have a program that creates raw disk images that I can convert manually using the raw loading functionality with appropriate settings for the floppy format but this is quite tedious. I was hoping to be able to batch convert the whole lot. Another possibility would be for me to add the reading of Casio .fzf files to the HxC floppy emulator itself but I'm not sure how to contribute to the software. The easiest for me to use would be a command line utility that does what the GUI does (i.e. given a raw disk image and an .fpf floppy profile file write a .hfe file).
Do you have the fzf format description ?

I can add a casio raw file support (*.casioraw).

fz1

Post by fz1 »

I have no description of the FZF format, but here is the software (file: fzftrans.c) that I used as a reference: http://www.buchty.net/casio/files/fztoolkit.tar.gz
(other information available at http://www.buchty.net/casio/) It's pretty simple all in all. The only thing missing would be a useable raw image converter useable from the command line so I can just write something simple like

Code: Select all

for i in *.img; do convert_to_hfe casio_fz1.fpf $i; done
and be done with it. Automating a GUI program is much more difficult and I frankly do not understand how to use the command line utility from the development branch. Seems that it does not support such a simple thing or it's my fault. If I had access to the source code of the command line utility, I'm sure I could come up with a satisfactory solution in one or two days depending on the code itself.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok thanks. i will add the fzf support as soon as possible.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:Ok thanks. i will add the fzf support as soon as possible.
Done :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... 2_beta.zip

To be tested.

fz1

Post by fz1 »

Works, but only in the Windows version, and there is no possibility to just do something like

hxcfe profile.fpf rawfile.img image.hfe
which would be awefully convenient for me as I am working on a more complete suite of tools to deal with the different Casio FZ-1 dump files and having to use a mouse to do a computer's job is quite tedious. Thank you for your effort so far. It's highly appreciated.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Which software are you using to get the img file ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

New software version ! (For Mac and Windows)
Now you can do this :

hxcfe -finput:myinputrawfile.img -conv -uselayout:CASIOFZ1_HD_1M25
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... 2_beta.zip

ektaphone

Post by ektaphone »

Hi guys

would it be possible to just explain what i need to do in order to use SD Floppy Emulator REV F with a casio fz10 and a load of fz factory disk images i have here.

From what i can gather i have to convert the fz dump format files first ? sorry but i am an ape at this stuff .Whats the best format to place on the sd floppy emulator / sd card and can this be done via my pc ?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ektaphone wrote:Hi guys

would it be possible to just explain what i need to do in order to use SD Floppy Emulator REV F with a casio fz10 and a load of fz factory disk images i have here.

From what i can gather i have to convert the fz dump format files first ? sorry but i am an ape at this stuff .Whats the best format to place on the sd floppy emulator / sd card and can this be done via my pc ?
Which type of disk images have you?

juno6

Post by juno6 »

Hi, I´m already using my HxC with my Emulator II, Emax rack and Ensoniq Mirage. I´m planing to use it with my DSS, Emulator I and FZ1...

Regarding the FZ... I don´t understand what hxcfe -finput:myinputrawfile.img -conv -uselayout:CASIOFZ1_HD_1M25 means...

BTW, what about FZV (FZ Voice) and FZB (FZ Bank) files?, which might be similar to FZF fortmat to implement. I have quite a lot of FZV files.

Cheers and thanx again Jeff!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

juno6 wrote:Hi, I´m already using my HxC with my Emulator II, Emax rack and Ensoniq Mirage. I´m planing to use it with my DSS, Emulator I and FZ1...

Regarding the FZ... I don´t understand what hxcfe -finput:myinputrawfile.img -conv -uselayout:CASIOFZ1_HD_1M25 means...
Just use the last beta software : this one directly support FZF files.
juno6 wrote: BTW, what about FZV (FZ Voice) and FZB (FZ Bank) files?, which might be similar to FZF fortmat to implement. I have quite a lot of FZV files.
i don't have any one here.

Plughugger

Post by Plughugger »

Can someone please help a fellow FZ user out?

I own a FZ-20 rack and I have installed the HxC Rev F successfully. It was a damn pain getting down to the original floppy drive - but after dismantling the whole piece I finally got there. As far as I can tell - it is working. I've successfully created "virtual floppies" and managed to save my own material on them.

But I cannot get the copy a FZ floppy to HFE. There is actually only one disk that I care for and it's the Optional Software disk with the tools for drawing your own waveforms and other very cool features. Since I own a recent iMac there is obviously no floppy, so I took the opportunity during christmas to copy the disk at a friends place. I made three different copies with slightly different settings and now when I'm trying it out - it simply won't read.

I used the latest beta posted in this thread.

What do you think could be the problem? In all honesty I really don't care about converting floppies - I'm making my own sounds - but the Optional Software disk is essential for my work. It won't happen to be so that anyone here already copied it to the HxC?

/C