Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6292
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:19 am

PaulStahl wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm
Jeff wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 am
Are you sure that you have used the right img file (the one present in the test.zip) or that you have sent me back the right img ?
I ask this because the content was changed (another file present).
Have you managed to read the file present on my img file before formatting it ?
I am sure. I can not see a file present on the IMG file before formatting it.. The QX3 says 000K free 000K used.. i must format first and then it will say 713K free.. i did this and recorded a song and saved it to the formatted IMG file and sent it to you.. Of course when i turn off the QX3 i lose all data and must start over
ok, i have read again this post : http://www.torlus.com/floppy/forum/view ... 311#p11748
Since totally different firmwares on 2 different hardware seems to produce the same issue, i think that the issue related to the motor-on and diskchange signal. The classic SD HxC can support properly this input, but it must be set properly. The gotek don't have a specific input for the motor on signal. But something can be done in the present case. I will come back with something to test.
(To sum up : This is not a write issue but a diskchange/read issue !)

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:55 am

Jeff wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:19 am
PaulStahl wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm
Jeff wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 am
Are you sure that you have used the right img file (the one present in the test.zip) or that you have sent me back the right img ?
I ask this because the content was changed (another file present).
Have you managed to read the file present on my img file before formatting it ?
I am sure. I can not see a file present on the IMG file before formatting it.. The QX3 says 000K free 000K used.. i must format first and then it will say 713K free.. i did this and recorded a song and saved it to the formatted IMG file and sent it to you.. Of course when i turn off the QX3 i lose all data and must start over
ok, i have read again this post : http://www.torlus.com/floppy/forum/view ... 311#p11748
Since totally different firmwares on 2 different hardware seems to produce the same issue, i think that the issue related to the motor-on and diskchange signal. The classic SD HxC can support properly this input, but it must be set properly. The gotek don't have a specific input for the motor on signal. But something can be done in the present case. I will come back with something to test.
(To sum up : This is not a write issue but a diskchange/read issue !)
That is good news , thank you :)

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:45 am

Jeff wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:19 am
PaulStahl wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:49 pm
Jeff wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:50 am
Are you sure that you have used the right img file (the one present in the test.zip) or that you have sent me back the right img ?
I ask this because the content was changed (another file present).
Have you managed to read the file present on my img file before formatting it ?
I am sure. I can not see a file present on the IMG file before formatting it.. The QX3 says 000K free 000K used.. i must format first and then it will say 713K free.. i did this and recorded a song and saved it to the formatted IMG file and sent it to you.. Of course when i turn off the QX3 i lose all data and must start over
ok, i have read again this post : http://www.torlus.com/floppy/forum/view ... 311#p11748
Since totally different firmwares on 2 different hardware seems to produce the same issue, i think that the issue related to the motor-on and diskchange signal. The classic SD HxC can support properly this input, but it must be set properly. The gotek don't have a specific input for the motor on signal. But something can be done in the present case. I will come back with something to test.
(To sum up : This is not a write issue but a diskchange/read issue !)
Hi, i was just wondering if you had come up with anything..

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6292
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 pm

Yes in the next release. Probably tomorrow.

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6292
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 pm
Yes in the next release. Probably tomorrow.
Done :

https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

Tick the "Non gated mode" checkbox,
Set "Motor input line" to "Floppy Select Line".
Set "Motor ON - Ready delay" to 400ms".
Set "Floppy Interface mode" to "SHUGART"

Request the new firmware (delivery time : ~5minutes)

On the gotek put the MO jumper and remove all others.

update the gotek with the new firmware.

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:00 pm

Jeff wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Jeff wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 pm
Yes in the next release. Probably tomorrow.
Done :

https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

Tick the "Non gated mode" checkbox,
Set "Motor input line" to "Floppy Select Line".
Set "Motor ON - Ready delay" to 400ms".
Set "Floppy Interface mode" to "SHUGART"

Request the new firmware (delivery time : ~5minutes)

On the gotek put the MO jumper and remove all others.

update the gotek with the new firmware.
I am using an HFE file from my Q80 quick pack and the indexed CFG .. the results are the same i am afraid....For the floppy interface mode i used "generic Shugart" is this correct? An interesting thing to note is that the green light only comes on during an operation like my Q80.. Before it was always on..

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6292
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:47 pm

PaulStahl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:00 pm
Jeff wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Jeff wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:20 pm
Yes in the next release. Probably tomorrow.
Done :

https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

Tick the "Non gated mode" checkbox,
Set "Motor input line" to "Floppy Select Line".
Set "Motor ON - Ready delay" to 400ms".
Set "Floppy Interface mode" to "SHUGART"

Request the new firmware (delivery time : ~5minutes)

On the gotek put the MO jumper and remove all others.

update the gotek with the new firmware.
I am using an HFE file from my Q80 quick pack and the indexed CFG .. the results are the same i am afraid....For the floppy interface mode i used "generic Shugart" is this correct? An interesting thing to note is that the green light only comes on during an operation like my Q80.. Before it was always on..
Can you check the flashed firmware version ? Are you using a know working image ?
Can you format a blank hfe image and share it here ?

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:19 am

Jeff wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:47 pm
PaulStahl wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:00 pm
Jeff wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:24 pm


Done :

https://hxc2001.com/custom_fw/

Tick the "Non gated mode" checkbox,
Set "Motor input line" to "Floppy Select Line".
Set "Motor ON - Ready delay" to 400ms".
Set "Floppy Interface mode" to "SHUGART"

Request the new firmware (delivery time : ~5minutes)

On the gotek put the MO jumper and remove all others.

update the gotek with the new firmware.
I am using an HFE file from my Q80 quick pack and the indexed CFG .. the results are the same i am afraid....For the floppy interface mode i used "generic Shugart" is this correct? An interesting thing to note is that the green light only comes on during an operation like my Q80.. Before it was always on..
Can you check the flashed firmware version ? Are you using a know working image ?
Can you format a blank hfe image and share it here ?
V 3.1.60.2 it is a working image..when i try to share it here it says ..
Error

Invalid file extension: DSKA0000.HFE
i sent it to your email instead

An interesting experiment.. i put 2 HFE files on the stick DSKA0000 and DSKA0001.. when i power up both are 000k used and 000k free but if i format either one then switch to the other disk it shows 713k free for both disks!!

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6292
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 am

PaulStahl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:19 am
V 3.1.60.2 it is a working image..when i try to share it here it says ..
Error

Invalid file extension: DSKA0000.HFE
i sent it to your email instead
The good news is that the image is perfectly formatted and some FAT sectors are initialized. So the basic read/write function appears to work.
PaulStahl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:19 am
An interesting experiment.. i put 2 HFE files on the stick DSKA0000 and DSKA0001.. when i power up both are 000k used and 000k free but if i format either one then switch to the other disk it shows 713k free for both disks!!
Yes. So this means that the disk change function/detection doesn't work properly. This is something around the pin n°2 (DISKC on the QX3 service manual) : Polarity/timing settings, or electrical issue...

Do you still have the original drive and a voltmeter ? Can you check the pin 2 state with and without disk inserted ?
Can you also make some pictures of this drive and post them here ? (want to see the model number, the jumper block, the connector, the pcb...)

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:29 am

Jeff wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:55 am
PaulStahl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:19 am
V 3.1.60.2 it is a working image..when i try to share it here it says ..
Error

Invalid file extension: DSKA0000.HFE
i sent it to your email instead
The good news is that the image is perfectly formatted and some FAT sectors are initialized. So the basic read/write function appears to work.
PaulStahl wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:19 am
An interesting experiment.. i put 2 HFE files on the stick DSKA0000 and DSKA0001.. when i power up both are 000k used and 000k free but if i format either one then switch to the other disk it shows 713k free for both disks!!
Yes. So this means that the disk change function/detection doesn't work properly. This is something around the pin n°2 (DISKC on the QX3 service manual) : Polarity/timing settings, or electrical issue...

Do you still have the original drive and a voltmeter ? Can you check the pin 2 state with and without disk inserted ?
Can you also make some pictures of this drive and post them here ? (want to see the model number, the jumper block, the connector, the pcb...)
Pin 2 shows zero voltage until an operation is performed such as checking disk status then it jumps to 5V and will remain there until you remove the floppy disk... here are some photos
Attachments
20190429_190733.jpg
20190429_190733.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 503 times
20190429_190722.jpg
20190429_190722.jpg (173.53 KiB) Viewed 503 times
20190429_190652.jpg
20190429_190652.jpg (162.21 KiB) Viewed 503 times

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:30 am

rest of floppy drive pics...
Attachments
20190429_190803.jpg
20190429_190803.jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 503 times
20190429_190745.jpg
20190429_190745.jpg (104.33 KiB) Viewed 503 times

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6292
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:55 am

Ok thanks !

Try the attached firmware and config file.
Clear the internal settings after the firmware update (press the right button at power up).
test1.zip
(81.85 KiB) Downloaded 11 times

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Jeff wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:55 am
Ok thanks !

Try the attached firmware and config file.
Clear the internal settings after the firmware update (press the right button at power up).

test1.zip
After installing new firmware I am using DSKAOOOO from the q80 pack .. at first the QX3 says no disk retry or cancel? After a few retries it will see the disk with 713K free.. however the QX3 began to freeze and I could not exit or cancel operation and get back to the main screen.. powering off and on and executing any operation i could not exit to the main screen.. Unplugging the Gotek the QX3 would still see a disk so I tried plugging in the old drive and finally got it working again but the cancel function seems faulty now and doesn't want to readily exit to the main screen.. I will try and test it more when I get home..

Jeff
Site Admin
Posts: 6292
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:12 am
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:47 pm

PaulStahl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm
Jeff wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:55 am
Ok thanks !

Try the attached firmware and config file.
Clear the internal settings after the firmware update (press the right button at power up).

test1.zip
After installing new firmware I am using DSKAOOOO from the q80 pack .. at first the QX3 says no disk retry or cancel? After a few retries it will see the disk with 713K free.. however the QX3 began to freeze and I could not exit or cancel operation and get back to the main screen.. powering off and on and executing any operation i could not exit to the main screen.. Unplugging the Gotek the QX3 would still see a disk so I tried plugging in the old drive and finally got it working again but the cancel function seems faulty now and doesn't want to readily exit to the main screen.. I will try and test it more when I get home..
ok let me fix something in the firmware. i will come back with a new version ;).

PaulStahl
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:16 pm

Re: Yamaha QX3 and the Gotek USB

Post by PaulStahl » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:30 pm

Jeff wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:47 pm
PaulStahl wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:54 pm
Jeff wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:55 am
Ok thanks !

Try the attached firmware and config file.
Clear the internal settings after the firmware update (press the right button at power up).

test1.zip
After installing new firmware I am using DSKAOOOO from the q80 pack .. at first the QX3 says no disk retry or cancel? After a few retries it will see the disk with 713K free.. however the QX3 began to freeze and I could not exit or cancel operation and get back to the main screen.. powering off and on and executing any operation i could not exit to the main screen.. Unplugging the Gotek the QX3 would still see a disk so I tried plugging in the old drive and finally got it working again but the cancel function seems faulty now and doesn't want to readily exit to the main screen.. I will try and test it more when I get home..
ok let me fix something in the firmware. i will come back with a new version ;).
I tested more during lunch with the old floppy drive and seems the exit function is more normal i am not sure what happened. It does seem that the new firmware version is closer to being correct.. i will wait for the update from you before i try anything else.. thank you.. oh and i also did notice that the led light on the old floppy drive is on all the time..

Post Reply