Double Dutch SAM-1 for Korg Synths

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Jeff_HxC2001

Re: Double Dutch SAM-1 for Korg Synths

Post by Jeff_HxC2001 »

ilmenator wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:40 pm
No, service manuals or schematics are unobtainium, unfortunately. This device is really rare, and there is only very little information on it on the web. It was distributed by Zadok, a dutch company, and it went under the name of "Double Dutch SAM-1".
sam1.jpg
This is how it looks inside, maybe the chips around the floppy port give some hints?
Thanks. Anyway the DP8473 Floppy controller is a chip designed for the PC world...

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

I think yes, the large chip is a DP8473N, apparently a floppy disk controller - datasheet is here: http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 6021_1.pdf

Edit: Oops, I did not see your reply because of the page break... sorry.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ilmenator wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:58 am
I think yes, the large chip is a DP8473N, apparently a floppy disk controller - datasheet is here: http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datashe ... 6021_1.pdf

Edit: Oops, I did not see your reply because of the page break... sorry.
Yes. Retry with the PC modes.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Btw try these raw images :

https://hxc2001.com/vrac/DoubleDutchSAM1.zip

Since the Double Dutch sectors layout seems to be equivalent to the akai S950 format, this should work.
(You probably still need to force the interface mode ;) )

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

Thanks, these raw images do work when the interface mode is set to IBMPC_DD!

Also, formatting of these images works - thanks a lot!

What did you do to create these? I guess I can use these as a basis now for all my other disks - still, how do I copy my "real" floppies onto these working images in HxC floppy emulator software? That's something I still do not understand.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ilmenator wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:19 pm
Thanks, these raw images do work when the interface mode is set to IBMPC_DD!

Also, formatting of these images works - thanks a lot!

What did you do to create these? I guess I can use these as a basis now for all my other disks - still, how do I copy my "real" floppies onto these working images in HxC floppy emulator software? That's something I still do not understand.
With the hxc software export the image to the "IMG file (RAW Sector file format)" file type and change the file extension to "aka".
(the final file size should be 80*2*10*1024=1638400 bytes.)

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

Jeff, thanks again for your excellent support during the Christmas days - it's much appreciated and I will gladly recommend the HxC to everybody interested. I have a working system again and I feel my SAM-1 is much more future proof than it has ever been before.

For the record, these are the settings that work for the Gotek/HxC combi with a Double Dutch SAM-1:
- jumper set to S0, nothing else
- NG-firmware-version
- IBMPC_DD interface mode
- HxC software export to "IMG file (RAW Sector file format)"

pictionary

Post by pictionary »

Hi guys,

I'm a SAM1 user and I managed to install a HxC floppy emulator with SD-Card (manufactured by Lotharek).
Thanks to Your forum - as I had some trouble to find my way through. So this is valuable.

Now I need Your help with completely other issue. I was detaching the PCM cable band from my M1 and this card part was left in. And I'm completely confused which way it should be plugged back - I didn't notice it. Unfortunately it is designed that it fits both ways.
I'm afraid not to burn anything....

if You still have SAM1 are You able to tell me which way is correct?

I wanted to paste a picture here but I'm not sure how to upload it and where.....
http://latanowicz.pl/SAM1/pcm_SAM1_1.jpg
http://latanowicz.pl/SAM1/pcm_SAM1_2.jpg

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

If this is the floppy connector, there is not too much risk : If the floppy ribbon this wrongly connected you will see "RA" and "S:1" permanently set on the emulator lcd when one image is selected.

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

pictionary wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:12 pm
if You still have SAM1 are You able to tell me which way is correct?
Sure, the second picture shows the correct way - ribbon cable going down from the PCM card board.

Best, ilmenator

pictionary

Post by pictionary »

Hi,

thank You greatly!!!
it's not the floppy it's the PCM connector and I have both Korg M1 and Wavestation WS/AD - thus I was a bit afraid not to damage them.

Your forum helped me - because I messed around with the HxC software - while not being aware the floppy emulator has a menu within itself - setting parameters within it solved all beautifly. It flies great.
What I need now is to write myself some small soft to create the sample disk images in some nice easy way in Korg format... :-)

This is the emulator within my SAM1: