Double Dutch SAM-1 for Korg Synths

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
ilmenator

Double Dutch SAM-1 for Korg Synths

Post by ilmenator »

Hi, new guy here.

I am trying to get a Double Dutch SAM-1 working with HxC (the Gotek version). However, the T3 config file does not seem to help. I cannot get my SAM-1 to load from the .hfe file, so I guess i am doing something wrong or the .cfg file is missing. Here is a disk image that I extracted. I guess this could help you, Jeff, to generate a .cfg file?

Thanks, ilmenator
System_21.hfe.zip
(32.48 KiB) Downloaded 371 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Double Dutch SAM-1 for Korg Synths

Post by Jeff »

Which firmware version have you ?

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

I just upgraded to the latest v3.1.32.1a (I have an OLED display connected).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What is this image ? You have generated it with the HxC software ? If so are you sure about the disk layout ?

What is the old disk drive brand and model + jumper settings ? I think that the current interface setting is not the right one.

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

This is the image of the OS system disk. With the SAM-1, you first insert the system disk which holds different OS versions depending on what Korg synth you want to use the device with (these are T1, M1, Wavestation, M3R etc.). After that, you insert the sound disk which holds PCM and sound data. I could also send you the image of a sound disk, but it was too large to attach here, I got an error message when trying to do so.

The image has been created with the HxC Floppy Emulator Software on a Win 7 machine using the "Floppy disk dump" function.

The manual says that the SAM-1 disks are very similar to the Korg T1 series format disks. SAM-1 sound disks can be read by the Korg T1, but a T1 cannot write to a SAM-1 system or sound disk.

The disk drive is an ERGO MD-21-DS350-B1 with the jumpers set as in the picture. This disk drive does not work anymore, but it looks original.
IMG_20181223_115653_kl.jpg
IMG_20181223_115653_kl.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 9666 times
I have another one of these SAM-1s which holds a TEAC FD-235HF which I have replaced many years ago.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Ok then set the S0 jumper (remove all others if present) and try the IBM PC Interface mode. If still doesn't work set the S950 HD interface mode.
(remove the stick and press both buttons to enter the settings menu.)

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

The jumper setting was already correct at S0 only and all others removed.

After setting the interface mode to IBMPC_DD_HD it seems as if the SAM-1 at least recognizes the device. The display on the Gotek changes from

RA T:000/080 S:0

to

T:001/080 S:0

and the green LED is flashing but then I get a disk error message on the SAM-1. Is this already a good sign?

I will try to read the floppy disk again with the "Floppy disk dump", maybe that is the problem?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ilmenator wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:44 pm
and the green LED is flashing but then I get a disk error message on the SAM-1. Is this already a good sign?

I will try to read the floppy disk again with the "Floppy disk dump", maybe that is the problem?
yes it is.

Is the disk image supposed to be a bootable disk ? if so, i see no data on this disk (all sectors initialized with the same value...)

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

No, I think this is not a bootable disk. The unit boots from an EPROM and then asks for the disk to be inserted.

Maybe something was wrong with the .hfe I had attached. These should be roughly 4MB each, when read from an HD disk, correct? At least this is what I get from the HxC floppy emulator software now. I have uploaded them here: https://ufile.io/cbfdy System_21.hfe and Version_21.hfe are the same but from two physically different floppy disks.

However, I still get the same "Disk error" for IBMPC_HD from my SAM-1. I get no reaction from the system when in S950 mode. So, IBMPC_HD seems to be right. The physical disk is ok, as my other SAM-1 (with the functioning disk drive) can read the floppy fine.

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ilmenator wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:12 pm
No, I think this is not a bootable disk. The unit boots from an EPROM and then asks for the disk to be inserted.

Maybe something was wrong with the .hfe I had attached. These should be roughly 4MB each, when read from an HD disk, correct? At least this is what I get from the HxC floppy emulator software now. I have uploaded them here: https://ufile.io/cbfdy System_21.hfe and Version_21.hfe are the same but from two physically different floppy disks.

However, I still get the same "Disk error" for IBMPC_HD from my SAM-1. I get no reaction from the system when in S950 mode. So, IBMPC_HD seems to be right. The physical disk is ok, as my other SAM-1 (with the functioning disk drive) can read the floppy fine.
Ok this time both files contain data ! The dumps seems to fine. i think data now this is just a question of settings.
Can you try the "not gated" firmware ? (in the Not_Gated_Firmware folder)

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

Yes, tried that, upon start the OLED displays v3.1.30.2a_NG (just to confirm).

I still get the "Disk error" message on the SAM-1, but on the Gotek the "RA" remains in the display (it went away with the other / non _NG firmware). It seems it is counting down from

RA T:001/080 S:0

to

RA T:000/080 S:0

and then SAM-1 displays the "Disk error" message. This is with the S0 jumper in place.

When I remove the S0 jumper, nothing happens at all - no Disk error and no OLED activity (in the readme it says jumper settings would not matter for the _Non_Gated firmware!?). The same behaviour shows with S0 in place and the firmware set to S950_HD.

Thanks for helping me to troubleshoot this!!

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Can you format a disk with this machine ?

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

Yes, attached is a floppy disk dump made with HxC from a freshly formatted floppy.
formatted.hfe.zip
(31.2 KiB) Downloaded 358 times

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

ilmenator wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:16 pm
Yes, attached is a floppy disk dump made with HxC from a freshly formatted floppy.
formatted.hfe.zip
Can you try to format the HxC disk image directly with the machine ?

ilmenator

Post by ilmenator »

Hmmh, I was afraid of that. The thing is that the SAM-1 does not start without the OS system loaded, which I can only do from the floppy drive. If I then want to format the HxC disk image, I would have to hot swap the floppy drive and the HxC Gotek. Is that advisable?? How big is the risk of damaging something?