Oberheim DPX-1 weirdness

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Nigel99

Oberheim DPX-1 weirdness

Post by Nigel99 »

Desperately trying to get this Oberheim DPX sorted out.

I have a Rev F HXC in the floppy bay and the 5.25 drive disconnected. Jumpers 1 & 2 are switched on.

It can load an E2 disk fairly reliably but seems to only be able to load a new disk after the unit has gone into sleep / standby mode.

The routine goes like thus -

1. Turn unit on and load first disk - fine for the most part.
2. Navigate to a new disk and click middle button to load and the error nF (disk not found) come up on the DPX-1
3. Allow it to rest - go to sleep / standby mode
4. Press middle button to wake - Disk loads

This is not an 100% reliable method but does work often enough. What could possibly be the problem here?

I've tried many different configurations of .CFE file and settings. I have Installed an HXC in an Emulator II, Emu EMax, Akai S900, Emu SP1200 without an issue. This is driving me nuts.

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Oberheim DPX-1 weirdness

Post by Jeff »

try the lastest firmware :
https://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_driv ... rmware.zip
Nigel99 wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:00 am
I have a Rev F HXC in the floppy bay and the 5.25 drive disconnected. Jumpers 1 & 2 are switched on.
Why 1 & 2 ?

Nigel99

Post by Nigel99 »

Hi Jeff, I uploaded the new firmware but the problem persists.

If I have jumpers 1 & 2 flipped I can get a disk to load every now and again. If I disconnect the 5.25 drive I can get an image to load with either drive A or B selected. With the 5.25 still installed I can get an image to load with the HXC set to drive A - but after the first image loads, on selecting further images a load buzz is heard from the drives and I can't get another image to load.

Also worth noting is that if I disconnect the power to the 5.25 drive the HXC screen becomes very dim the characters fade in and out as I press the buttons, sometimes completely (they share the same power loom - I checked it and the voltage doesn't fluctuate). I have checked the power with a multimeter and it's 5.02v so I don't know whats going on there...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nigel99 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am
Hi Jeff, I uploaded the new firmware but the problem persists.

If I have jumpers 1 & 2 flipped I can get a disk to load every now and again. If I disconnect the 5.25 drive I can get an image to load with either drive A or B selected. With the 5.25 still installed I can get an image to load with the HXC set to drive A - but after the first image loads, on selecting further images a load buzz is heard from the drives and I can't get another image to load.
first : if you disconnect the drive power supply, you disconnect the floppy ribbon too.
setting 1 & 2 sound to be a bad idea , especially if you still have another floppy drive in the system.
Nigel99 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:56 am
Also worth noting is that if I disconnect the power to the 5.25 drive the HXC screen becomes very dim the characters fade in and out as I press the buttons, sometimes completely (they share the same power loom - I checked it and the voltage doesn't fluctuate). I have checked the power with a multimeter and it's 5.02v so I don't know whats going on there...
this is not normal and must be fixed. there is a bad connection somewhere...

Nigel99

Post by Nigel99 »

ok. I have installed a new ribbon cable and disconnected the 5.25" drive completely.

I have tried nearly all combinations of settings and I can't get an image to load at all now. The HXC does one click as if it's starting to load and then stops.

This is making me wonder if anyone has ever installed an HXC in the 3.5" floppy by of an DPX-1...

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

when it does a click ?

there is already some threads on this forum about how-to load a E2 image into the dpx.