Jumper setting CASIO FZ1

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
Robber

Jumper setting CASIO FZ1

Post by Robber »

Hidiho everybody,

My name is Hobbe Faber but call me Robber.
I am from Amsterdam the Netherlands, I'm a newby here and this is my first posting:

I've just bought a REV F Black from Lotharek's for my CASIO FZ1 Sampler and it's on its way.
Just a few questions still:
It say's on the support list: "Right jumper setting : DS0/ID0"
I guess it is the first microswitch 'on' for the ID, but which is the switch for the DS0? Am I overseeing something? Or is it some setting inside the FZ?

Furthermore, is loading samples from the emulator faster or just as fast ( :? hmmm) as loading it from the original floppydrive? It should be faster, though.
This drive (my second, the first gave up after half a year or so) is already dead for more than 25 years now and loading through midi is painstakingly slow.
Still love the b*stard and I recently found a way to convert SF2 files into FZF files and also got Steinberg Synthworks on Atari for FZ parameters working so there is work to do.

Ah, just another thing but I will open another thread in 'Atari Support' on this site and on a more appropriate site as well, presumably on Atari Forum/Fan or whatever because it is not about the Floppy Emulator but about the Ultra Satandisk which I also purchased from Lotharek, so I think it might be a little off topic on HcX.

Hint: Anyone familiar with 'Eickmann HDplus'? I use it for Iomega ZIP 100 SCSI drives on Atari and it works perfectly. Also use it now for Jookie's US disk on a Mega STE.

Robber

Jeff
Site Admin

Re: Jumper setting CASIO FZ1

Post by Jeff »

Robber wrote:Hidiho everybody,

My name is Hobbe Faber but call me Robber.
I am from Amsterdam the Netherlands, I'm a newby here and this is my first posting:

I've just bought a REV F Black from Lotharek's for my CASIO FZ1 Sampler and it's on its way.
Just a few questions still:
It say's on the support list: "Right jumper setting : DS0/ID0"
I guess it is the first microswitch 'on' for the ID, but which is the switch for the DS0? Am I overseeing something? Or is it some setting inside the FZ?
This is the same switch ID0 = DS0
Robber wrote: Furthermore, is loading samples from the emulator faster or just as fast ( :? hmmm) as loading it from the original floppydrive? It should be faster, though.
Same speed : The machine (the Casio FZ1 here...) floppy disk controller is the bottle neck.

Robber

Post by Robber »

Hi again,

first of all: thanks for answering the questions asked in my previous posting Jeff.

The REV F Black from Lotharek arrived yesterday morning.
Opend up the FZ immediatly and got out the dead floppy drive (Panasonic model JU-255-3P). Connection to the 34 pin flatcable, no problem. But connection to the power supply (4 pin connector) was a different story.The original FZ1 connector didn't seem to fit.
Anxious, not to say scared stiff I might damage anything I decided, after some hesitation, to move onwards anyway assuming all these connectors are practically the same just as the wiring is. So I jammed the connector with some force into Lothareks precious masterpiece after cutting away some plastic lump underneath the connector which was causing most of the trouble.

Then I powered up the FZ expecting sparks everywhere, crackling noises and a funny smell but there is was: "No SD/SDHC card found!" the display showed.

This FZ1, purchased many many moons ago and recently provided with a new display, bought on eBay from Denmark along with a complete new control panel and some other spare parts, is about to start a whole new life.

I killed the old display by trying to see what was beneath the surface of the control panel. Most of the buttons got stuck and I wanted to spray them with some W40 or something so I could go through the menu again without pressing them with all my 90 kilo's bodyweight, or rhythmically tapping them for 10 minutes.

The backlight was already gone for years. I can't even recall when I saw it working. Perhaps it never did, but now there is this green glow in the dark.
I actually tore up one of the 80 pin ribbon cable connectors attached to the display (impossible to fix such a piece of soldering) which already had some weak spots from earlier attemps to do something about the unwilling tabs. So that was the end of it.

The FZ with no display and bad buttons had become unworkable and I already gave up the thought that I would ever get any sound out of it anymore.
Also the keyboard made a terrible ratling noise while playing and some keys where so sticky that they didn't come up again for seconds, some I had to pull back up again. But at least I managed to solve that problem quite quickly. It was easy to cut away the old worn out rubber strip that almost had become a sticky liquid and put a fresh one in. The keys play very smooth again and are almost noisless now. So I decided to keep the FZ1 just as a masterkeyboard.

Because I saw this all coming I had bought a second hand FZ10m for about 100 quid with a working floppy drive some time ago, just to be able to rescue some of my old stuff which I didn't save through midi dump.
Incredible! Those 30 year old floppies still contain all the data! Just a few I had to throw away.

But now....another miracle! This FZ1 is a better sampler now than since the day I bought it. Years ago in 1996 when I entered the internet for the first time, first thing I asked was if it was possible to use a harddisk or a zipdrive to store the samples directly to and fro the FZ. Almost 20 years later it's like a dream come true.

Robber

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

So the emulator is working or not ?

Robber

Post by Robber »

As far as I can tell, YES!!!
It loaded a full dump (a floppy), optional software and it saved a voice (handdrawing). I'll go thru all options but I'm shure it will all be there.

Great job you guys!