Technics KN 2000 / Disk Change

HxC Floppy emulator support for all others Keyboards/Samplers...
lukas85

Technics KN 2000 / Disk Change

Post by lukas85 »

Hi all!

Today I got my HXC2001 Revision "F".

I wired it into an Technics KN 2000, which works almost perfectly now. The only Problem is, i can't get the Disk Change detection to work.
The Technics KN 2000 uses a PC Compatible 720KB drive with Special 24-pin connector.

This is the wiring schematic I used: http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/vie ... 181#p20560

Can someone please tell me, which pin on the hxc is supposed to be the disk-change pin and how this pin behaves?

As far as I could read from the schematics, it should be pin 2, but this pin never changes it's state.

Oh, I forgot:
I also tried to use Pin 2 on the 34 pin connector instead of pin 34 as disk-change detection. Both don't work..

lukas85

Re: Technics KN 2000 / Disk Change

Post by lukas85 »

I did some more testing:

It seems that the KN2000 relies on the /ready Signal to see if there is a disk or not.

If I connect the /DiskChange Signal from the HXC to the /READY Line of the KN2000, it says 'No Disk' when a Disk is inserted and tries to read when the disk is not inserted.

Unfortunately, the /Ready Line on the HXC does nothing (while emulating a DOS 720 KB Disk).

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

lukas85 wrote:I did some more testing:

It seems that the KN2000 relies on the /ready Signal to see if there is a disk or not.

If I connect the /DiskChange Signal from the HXC to the /READY Line of the KN2000, it says 'No Disk' when a Disk is inserted and tries to read when the disk is not inserted.

Unfortunately, the /Ready Line on the HXC does nothing (while emulating a DOS 720 KB Disk).

Try this : remove the sdcard, press select -> Interface CFG -> Try shugart mode.

The pin 02 / Pin34 behavior may be changed as you want.
I send to you an new firmware with more possibilities about these settings.

lukas85

Post by lukas85 »

Now everything works! And I learned a lot on the SD Floppy Emulator. Many Thanks to everyone who contributed to this great Piece of hard- and Software!

So here's the solution for the KN 2000:

Code: Select all

KN2000				HXC2001
 1	+5V				POWER Connector
 2	+5V				POWER Connector
 3	NC
 4	+5V				POWER Connector
 5	+5V				POWER Connector
 6	/READY			PIN 34 (READY)
 7	GND				POWER Connector
 8	GND				POWER Connector
 9	/HSEL				Pin 32 (/SIDE1)
10	GND				Some ODD Pins on the Floppy Cable (all Odd Pins are GND)
11	/RDATA			Pin 30 (RDATA)
12	/WPRT			Pin 28 (WPRT)
13	/TRK0			Pin 26 (Track0)
14	/WGATE			Pin 24 (WGate)
15	GND				Some ODD Pins on the Floppy Cable (all Odd Pins are GND)
16	/WDATA			Pin 22 (Wdata)
17	GND				Some ODD Pins on the Floppy Cable (all Odd Pins are GND)
18	/STEP			Pin 20 (Step)
19	/HDIR			Pin 18 (HDIR)
20	/MTON			Pin 10 (MOTA)
21	NC
22	/DS0			Pin 14	(DRVSA) (=ID2A)
23	/INDEX			Pin 8	(IDX)
24	/DCHG			Pin 2	(DCHG)

DISK Layout:	720 KB DD
IMPORTANT: Interface Mode: Generic Shugart

lukas85

Post by lukas85 »

Many Thanks Jeff! That's exactly what did the trick. I just missed your post as I was typing the solution :)

lukas85

Post by lukas85 »

After putting everything back together and trying to work with it, I found one small issue:

If I try to format a disk, the disk image is screwed up a bit. I can afterwards not delete any files on the keyboard, and also not overwrite them.
Existing files still show up after the formatting and can be loaded.
Actually, I have no idea what the keyboard does when "formatting". It goes through all tracks and in the end it says "completed".

This is only a small issue, because there is no need to use this function, you can delete single files on the keyboard, and delete the whole disk on the pc using the diskbrowser, if necessary.

I just wanted to report it, so it can be added to a compatibility list or whatever. :)

For firmware I tried both the 1.7.2.0 and 1.7.5.0a. There is no difference in working with the KN 2000.

PS.
My father is very happy that he can now use his Keyboard again. :D

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

About the format support, i am actually working on this de next V1.8.X.X firmware generation. :wink:

Can you provide some pictures of the KN2000 with the HxC ?

lukas85

Post by lukas85 »

Thanks to Jeff's work I can now confirm that the HxC2001 works completely flawless in the KN2000 with Firmware V1.8.1.6a.
With this Firmware I am able to format virtual disks, which did not work before.
Afterwards they are empty as expected and can be used as if the image was newly created.
:D

harpingon

Post by harpingon »

Hello

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have to revive my old KN2000

I thought I was 'getting away with it' for too long, but the FDD has given up the ghost.

I've used a USB floppy drive to rip fdd images of my floppy collection to disk files, so now I'm looking to replace the fdd in my KN2000 with a floppy emulator

Can anyone tell me which model of fdd emulator, and firmware I need so this will work? Also, any hardware modifications I might need to make to the keyboard and/or the emulator please?

Not looking forward to taking my baby apart, we've been together a long time :(

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

harpingon wrote:Hello

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have to revive my old KN2000

I thought I was 'getting away with it' for too long, but the FDD has given up the ghost.

I've used a USB floppy drive to rip fdd images of my floppy collection to disk files, so now I'm looking to replace the fdd in my KN2000 with a floppy emulator

Can anyone tell me which model of fdd emulator, and firmware I need so this will work? Also, any hardware modifications I might need to make to the keyboard and/or the emulator please?

Not looking forward to taking my baby apart, we've been together a long time :(
The Rev F is fine for the KN2000. The lastest firmware too.
No hardware modification needed.

Chingy

Post by Chingy »

Hello
I was hoping to get some help installing my HXC2001 Revision "F" to my KN 2000
I have made all connections according to lukas85 previous posts and put the hxc in shugart mode and used 720kb DD Layout.
When i load an image i can see the tracks but cant play them and formating virtual images doesnt work either.

Using firmware: v1.8.2.40

Cheers

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

What do you mean by "i can see the tracks" ? This means that you can see the files with the KN2000?

Chingy

Post by Chingy »

Hi Jeff
Yes i can see the files in the KN2000. But i get diffrent types of error messages when i try to load the files from the KN2000 for example: "the file your trying to load is empty", "this file was not made for this version"
But these same files were the ones we used for the original floppy until it broke.

I've tried floppy disk dump with the software but still no success.

Is there some settings or steps i'm missing?

Jeff
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

did you see the track number on the hxc change during the file read attempt ?

Chingy

Post by Chingy »

The track number seems to be jumping back and forth during file load attempts.
Perhaps the timing is off or something?
I could send you an image off the files i'm trying to load?